They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Tutorial Ideas

Talk about anything here.

Re: New Tutorial Ideas

Postby Chris B » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Quick request. Can someone do a tutorial on Colour Grading in PE - if such a thing is possible. If it's not what's the closes approximation. Some of the results look absolutely stunning.

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/11/07/color-grading/

Tutorial here for Vegas.

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/11/1 ... lor-grade/

Ta.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Could probably do the same thing with the Image Contol and a little help from VitaScene (ProDad).
Not sure it can all be done in Premiere Elements, the addition of Magic Bullet really makes a difference in tutorial.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:01 pm

This is the sort of thing that is easy to do in After Effects. You don't need a plugin. But, some people buy a plugin anyway -- either to save time or they don't know how to use the many controls After Effects makes available. But, Premiere Elements doesn't have the builtin controls/effects to do it effectively -- you pretty much need a plugin of some sort if you need something other than what you can get with the basic controls. Nothing to adjust saturation or brightness by channel for example. Still photos you can easily do in Photoshop Elements.

Now, if you aren't trying to get a specific "look" like the film studios do and you just want to give your video snap. The builtin image controls (brightness, contrast, saturation) can do a decent job. You also have auto levels, although I would prefer a manual levels effect. The shadow/highlights effect is pretty useful too. But, that isn't strictly "color grading".
Bob

Postby gail spiro » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 am

I agree with the others who claim that all the tutorials are helpful! I keep learning new things, and realizing how much more there is that I don't know yet!
I do feel like there are many very simple, "beginning" tutorials, and would love to see more time spent on more advanced technique. For instance, I recently watched all of the Brady Grid tutorials, and while I was not interested in how to bring the media into Premiere, I would have enjoyed more in depth ideas about interesting things to do with the images once they were there. For instance, is there a reasonable way to rearrange the layering on the tracks once the images are there so I can scale in on 1 photo at a time without worrying about it being behind the others.

Also, I have recently gotten really into incorporating digital scrapbooking in my slideshows. This opens a HUGE can of worms of possibilities! There are hundreds of websites that sell beautiful, inexpensive images, papers, objects, alphabets, etc., as well as many with free downloads. I am offering themed slideshows to many of my Bar/Bat Mitzvah clients now, and find that the digital scrapbooking resources are unbelievable!
Is anyone else using this avenue on muvipix? This would make for amazing tutorial opportunities. I'll try to upload some samples of this later, but for instance, I just finished a Sports themed slideshow, where I used sports themed background papers, graphics, etc. throughout the show. One example of how I used it was, there was a photo of the boy posing with a baseball bat, and I keyframed a baseball graphic to fly in towards the bat, and back out right to the viewer. There are themed frames, emellishments, etc. It's amazing how much is out there! In another show, the girl's party was masquerade themed. I found beautiful digital masquerade masks that covered her face in the photos, and then moved away to reveal the girl underneath. These graphics and papers are also VERY helpful when using vertical photos that don't fill the screen. Another very obvious use is for titles, chapter headings, openings, and closings. In fact, I have even used these graphics in tandem with your motion backgrounds! Hope there are others out there who are interested!
Gail Spiro
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:36 am

Hi Gail,
There are a few others doing digital scrapbooking, very cool stuff and you can get some really great graphics.
Here is one of the topics viewtopic.php?p=31853#p31853
There are other links inside that one to check out.

I have a lot of tutorials planned for this year, just need to get past the current load of stuff and the contest.
Thanks for the suggestions, if you could provide a little more detail about what you want to do it would help ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby gail spiro » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks Chuck! I looked at that link, and people seem to be enjoying the digital scrapbook process with photoshop elelments. I'm talking about taking it to the next level and incorporating it into movies. There are so many possibilities with animations!
gail spiro
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 pm

I agree Gail. I had hoped that the digital scrapbooking would move to a new level, incorporating Premiere Elements and creating Video Scrapbooks :)
Maybe we can get the others interested :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Hey Chuck, I have a generic suggestion that I believe EVERY AUTHOR of any type tutorial would benefit from greatly ... and I mean greatly, if their goal is to achieve better understanding from the student.

While video is a small p/t hobby of mine, pool has been my forte for over 50 years. I've owned a large billiard room and taught the game for quite a while. I've learned one very important aspect of teaching. It is that for those of us who know, we subconsciously assume minor things are understood, and therefore overlooked while explaining.

So, here's the thing. Recruit two or three people who are beginners, to review a draft of the lesson before its completed. Have them note anywhere along the way they get confused. I think you will be surprised at how quickly students get lost.

I've been told by lots of people who have had pool lessons before, that my explanations really made more sense to them than what they have been taught before. I credit my wife with that.

Before I started giving lessons, I experimented my lesson plan with my wife and told her to stop me the second she didn't understand something. She stopped me a lot!

While I admit it got frustrating, I found out that most beginners enter into lessons with preconceived concepts that actually block their ability to absorb the lesson. Just something to consider rather than having an experienced person review.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:12 pm

That's one of the advantages of teaching something live, Joe. You can tell when you're losing your audience.

But beta testing tutorials is an interesting concept! (In fact, lynda.com does run every class by a team of testers, who challenge every detail, to ensure that the teaching is effective and clear.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 pm

That is a great concept Joe, and right on target. I wish we were a larger group that had the luxury of having a test platform of any kind, that is not the case at Muvipix. Many of our tutorials aren't for beginners, and we do rely on the forum to help supplement the tutorials with additional help and support. If I do any more beginner videos I will surely run them by my wife or son first,they would be perfect for the job :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:29 am

I have always been surprised that user manuals were generally written by the folk that created the system. So, for me, Joe, you have hit the nail on the head.

In the latter stages of my career, when I had responsibility for IT within the organisation, I introduced the idea of teams drawn from the IT system development staff pool that were focused on two aspects of the project but were not part of the development team per se.

The first was a team that took the system specs and had responsibility for developing the system test plan. The second team had responsibility for the user manual and developing user training material working with the training department. Neither team drawn from IT staff was directly involved in the actual system development.

Membership of these teams was solely for the duration of "that" project so folk were cycled through the teams and then returned to development pool.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 am

That is an excellent solution John, wish i had the luxury of that many people to draw from in my job. In most cases we are understaffed and over worked, very few team members have time for documentation. In my current job I write the documentation as well as test the system, but this is not software for beginners and it is expected that users have basic industry knowledge prior to using it.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to Water Cooler