They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera

Talk about anything here.

Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:45 pm

I absolutely love this concept. For me this was my objective using a Flip Ultra camera to do he same thing for video.

DigitalRev has shared the latest video in its clever series titled “Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera.” In this episode, photographer Matt Usher is given an old Nikon CoolPix 995 and asked to capture the best possible images he can.
For context, a Nikon CoolPix 995 is 16 years old, has a three megapixel sensor, and offers a full frame equivalent focal range between 36–152mm. It’s a far cry from even the cheapest of DSLRs available nowadays.
Despite the obvious limitations of the camera, Usher takes it upon himself to capture the best images possible.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/photograph ... z4Esit5Ho1
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktv7I_yM0qQ[/youtube]

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera

Postby Peru » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Yes, it's not the tools you have, but how you use them. :tup:
Peru

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:15 pm

I have a slightly different take on that. The photographer creates the photo, but the camera places limitations as to how they can do that. A pro can take a good picture using a cheap camera. But, a good camera will allow that same pro photographer to work more efficiently and potentially make an even better photo because they won't be as limited by their tools.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:22 pm

I am not sure it counts to take multiple pictures and stitch them together. I think it should have been a single shot.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:01 am

sidd finch wrote:...to take multiple pictures and stitch them together....

I use that Photoshop function a lot. It gives marvellous panoramas that one can use very effectively in video with a slow traverse across the scene.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:24 pm

Ditto what Bob said above. I enjoyed the segment and have enjoyed some of his reviews too. He is entertaining.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Kent Frost » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:46 pm

sidd finch wrote:I am not sure it counts to take multiple pictures and stitch them together. I think it should have been a single shot.

Sidd

LoL Curious to know how you feel about the pano function of camera phones then. It's taken in one shot, but as you take it, it takes multiple shots and stitches them on the spot.

Conundrum? Hmmm....?
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Love pano. My issue was the way the headline read.

To me it appeared that they would be using a super cheap camera to take a picture that was good as a DSLR. In my head that was a 1-1 match. Stitching together multiple photographs to compare to a DSLR is more about using the stitching function than about the comparison. More of an apple to oranges comparison IMHO.

The article should have been about the coolness of stitching together camera photos to make large photos. and oh yeah with the right amount of planning you can use a cheap camera to stitch too. :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:49 pm

I should fire up my Sony DSC-S85 and do a Photoshop stitch. I looked on e-Bay where one could be had for $18 USD. That's $480 off its MSRP.....WOW

The DSC-S85 enters the market as the first 4 megapixel consumer level digital camera

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-s85/

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler