They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Power Director 14 vs Premier elements 14

Talk about anything here.

Power Director 14 vs Premier elements 14

Postby mark hansen » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:21 pm

I currently have CS3 and Do OK with that software. I also have Power Director 12 and I know there is PD 14 it wants me to upgrade to. Also out there is PE14. The upgrade to PD14 and getting PE14 is about the same price.

The reason I have PD12 is basically to convert the HD video files my camera (Sony HDR PJ540) records in.

I figure its time to step away from the old standard of CS3 and get something newer, even though I can't afford any of the CS versions now.

I'm looking for any recommendations to help lesson the pain (learning curve) of going to new software. I really notice a quality output of PD12 over CS3 (Which I suspect is my fault) So one goal is to have the same quality output I have with PD12 and I suspect the interface and usability of PE14 is much like CS3 (just starting looking into that). (I see the Cool tips and Hot tips for PE14) to the left, so, I'll be looking at too.

Does anyone have any insight into the workbook and usability between PE14 and the other CS products like bridge, after effects sound room etc... and is there a lot of change with the interface with PE14 compared to PD12 (and presume PD14.) If you wanted to choose, what would you do?

Thanks,
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Power Director 14 vs Premier elements 14

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:18 pm

We have a free Basic Training tutorial series for PowerDirector 14, Mark. You'll find it on the left side of this page.
http://muvipix.com/cpd14.php

And, as I'm sure you know, we also have an 8 part Basic Training series for Premiere Elements 14. Watching them is a great way to see how each compares. Output quality should be just as good with either -- and, in most case, every bit as good as you'll see with Premiere Pro.

Your camcorder shoots AVCHD , which is pretty much the standard for high-def consumer video. You shouldn't need to -- and you SHOULDN'T -- convert the video into any other format to edit it. Any current consumer video editor, including Premiere Elements and PowerDirector, should easily handle it as is.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:00 pm

I don't think Premiere Elements uses Bridge. It uses the Organizer. You can use other CS apps with Premiere Elements. You just won't be able to use dynamic link.
Peru

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:50 pm

HI Mark,

When you say you have CS3, do you mean you have Premiere Pro CS3 or do you have the Production Premium CS3 suite that contains Premiere Pro CS3, Photoshop CS3 Extended, After Effects CS3, and SoundBooth CS3 etc.?

AVCHD support was introduced in Premiere Pro CS4. As far as workflow, Premiere Pro CS3 won't open the PE14 projects, but you should be able to import footage you create in PE14 or PD14 and use it in CS3 apps -- just keep in mind that you will need to use something other than AVCHD or MP4/AVC. You will only have dynamic link between the CS3 suite applications.

The Production Premium suite is no longer sold. The Creative Cloud subscription will give access to all the previous suite products. FYI, Soundbooth was discontinued and replaced by Adobe Audition.
Bob

Postby mark hansen » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks for the tips. Bob, I have the full suite, but as you know its very dated. It worked well when I captured tape, but we don't do that much. I'll need to dig into you stuff Steve, its always helpful. I know I'm going to need to bite the bullet soon, just trying to figure out which one.

Every once an a while I like to follow the step by step for AE, but more and more I'm seeing I can't do what they can do. I guess I better get with the times.

Thanks again,
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby mark hansen » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:16 pm

As I look at these tutorials I see there are on one screen. Understandably, to make the video. I assume they both support two screens, can someone confirm how well they support two screens?
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:01 am

Premiere Elements has a dual-screen option, in that the timeline breaks off into a separate floating window and can be positioned in a second monitor. But the rest of the interface remains as a single block.

I don't know that PowerDirector breaks into individual floating windows at all.

Rather than dual-monitors, it looks like more and more programs are being designed for larger, wider 1920x1080 monitors.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler