They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Movie Studio Plat. vs Premiere Elements

Talk about anything here.

Movie Studio Plat. vs Premiere Elements

Postby dsttexas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:14 pm

I worked with PrEl with various releases from 3 through 9 for several projects, then with 10 had some issues we couldn't get around so I got Movie Studio 12 / DVD Arch for my last project about three years ago. I kind of preferred PrEl's interface more, but mostly due to experience.

About to start up a big project - really lots of years of family videos to edit down into I expect multiple DVD's. 16 VHS tapes already converted to AVI's with WinDv, 12 Hi8 cassettes yet to be converted / imported, and a number of .mov files from my digital camera. My Sony Hi8 digital video camera is kaput, so will have to find a way to convert cassettes into mp4 or avi file format somehow, but will likely pay the estimated $120 repair cost as not a lot of other options.

Before investing lots of time for this project in the latest version of Movie Studio or PrEl, do any of you have opinions on pros and cons of current versions of these products?

Thanks all. I have had wonderful support through the years from you folks!
Don
Dell Vostro quad core i7, 6GB, Win 10 64 bit, latest service levels. Sony Movie Studio 12, DVD Arch Studio 5, Adobe Premiere Elements 14.
dsttexas

Re: Movie Studio Plat. vs Premiere Elements

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:54 pm

That's always the most difficult question to answer, Don. Which is better. And I always say it's a little like saying which is better: A VW, a Toyota or a Ford? Is an SUV superior to a sporty economy car? Is the new variable transmission superior to traditional gears?

And it's really just impossible to say. It depends on the way you like to work.

If you haven't used Premiere Elements since version 10, it's definitely worth checking out the latest versions. Adobe did some major overhauls in version 11, and they've created a program that does more things automatically and works better with a wider variety video formats. In fact, I must confess that, when I need to edit video, Premiere Elements is the first program I reach for.

As for Movie Studio, it's also a great program with a number of great advantages. But it will be interesting to see where this program goes now that Sony has sold the product off to Magix. Maybe its next generation will take the best features of each and really blow the competition out of the water!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Good to see you back Don :exc:

I still prefer Premiere Elements over pretty much everything else. I do like ProShow but more for slideshows with some video, Premiere Elements for mostly video with some photos. Then again I have used them both on some projects :)

Might be good to know a little more about the project before we commit to anything, how many cameras, what resolution, what about audio and music?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:33 am

Are trial versions of both available? If so, that could help you decide.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Water Cooler