They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Docking Station ???

Talk about anything here.

Docking Station ???

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:16 pm

My much loved old laptop came with a docking station. I've never used it. Don't really know what it is for.

Would it be possible to use the docking station to connect my old laptop to a NEW desktop case - motherboard, faster graphics card on the new motherboard, etc., and have my current laptop be the screen and keyboard, with built in wacom?

That would mean things would have to be set up so the laptop's CPU and perhaps RAM did not work, right? Can that work?

If so, I could put the case under the bed and still be able to work upstairs, in bed, where it is comfortable (heated, cooled) and my painting table is just on the other side of the room. I typically go back and forth from laptop to easel constantly.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Docking Station ???

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:09 pm

A docking station is an accessory that allows you easily switch the usage of your laptop from mobile to desktop. Typically, a docking station will contain an ac power adaptor and connectors for peripherals such as a keyboard, mouse, video display, Ethernet connection, or printer. The basic idea is that you would attach a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the docking station and possibly a connection to the company network and you would leave that setup in your office. When you came into the office, you could plug your laptop into the docking station and use the attached monitor and keyboard like you would with a desktop. When you leave, you can undock the laptop and take the laptop with you.
Bob

Re: Docking Station ???

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Ah, then the docking station does exactly the opposite of what I want. Drats! Let' s keep our fingers crossed that a faster HD will do the trick.

THANKS, Bob!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler