They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Making Two Segments the Background DVD Menu Clip

Talk about anything here.

Making Two Segments the Background DVD Menu Clip

Postby prkraus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:59 am

I am working on a menu for a DVD. I would like the background video clip of the menu to be two discontinuous smaller segments I have culled from a much larger project asset. The two smaller segments are not project assets themselves; they are part of the larger project asset. Right now they are only segments in my timeline. I can't select an inpoint on the larger project asset because the two smaller clips are not continuous in the larger project asset. Is there any way I can take the two smaller clips, make one project asset out of them, and insert that newly created project asset into the video background selection area for the DVD menu? Thanks.
prkraus

Re: Making Two Segments the Background DVD Menu Clip

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:48 am

Export your two part clip as a single .avi then re-import that into your project.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:08 am

And, of course, how specifically you do this depends on which programs you're using the edit your video and author your disc.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby prkraus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:11 pm

I have done as you have suggested. I have selected the clips, gone to Publish+Share, chosen AVI, selected a file name and location, etc., but in the description of what is to be published/shared, it lists the length of the entire movie, not just the 30 seconds or so length of the clips. I think that the tool is not picking up on my selection of those specific clips and is exporting the entire file. How can I communicate that I want the program to export only the selected clips? Thanks.
prkraus

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:12 pm

I can't select an in point on the larger project asset because the two smaller clips are not continuous in the larger project asset

You're using Premiere Elements 13, correct? Are you also using that to create your dvd or something else such as DVD Architect?

Since your two clips are discontiguous, you will need to edit the project to remove the parts you don't want. However, don't use your original project -- you don't want to disturb that. Instead, make a copy of the project file (the .prel file) and edit the copy. Make the necessary cuts and delete the parts you don't want to keep then export to your pc. You can then go back to your original project and import that clip or use it in your DVD authoring program.
Bob

Postby prkraus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:15 pm

OK. How do I select only those clips to export? I have highlighted the ones I want but the program wants to export the entire project.
prkraus

Postby prkraus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:16 pm

I am using Premiere Elements 13, correct.
prkraus

Postby prkraus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:18 pm

I am using the DVD menu and authoring tool in Premiere Elements 13.
prkraus

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:06 pm

prkraus wrote:OK. How do I select only those clips to export? I have highlighted the ones I want but the program wants to export the entire project.

You will need to create a new project with just those clips added to the timeline,then export the entire timeline. Then add the new clip to your current project and use that with your DVD menu :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Just to be clear, Premiere Elements does not have the ability to select two discontiguous segments and export them as a single clip. It can only export a contiguous segment. You will either need to do as Chuck suggested and create a new project containing only the material you want to export, or, do as I suggested and make a copy of your project and delete the portions you don't want from the copy project. Choose the method that will be easiest for you.
Bob

Postby prkraus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:12 pm

It worked to copy the project, delete what I didn't want, and export it. Thanks. Hats off to the "Select All" command.
prkraus

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:29 pm

:TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler