They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Condensed Edit

Talk about anything here.

The Condensed Edit

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:39 pm

I came across this interesting article from Videomaker Magazine. It really put into words something I have noticed watching YouTube. The better and quicker the edit the more I want to watch of it.
http://www.videomaker.com/article/18164-the-condensed-edit

The concept of the cutting room floor is one that we can learn from as video producers. The idea of omission seems to have somehow escaped the mind of many modern video producers. Without the discipline of omission, editors regularly include more than they should. This makes productions run long and often causes the pace of the edit to drag.

In this scenario, the editor uses an additive thought process. A video is built by adding more and more content to the timeline without regard for total run time of the production.

One of the cardinal rules of making video, however, is to remember that we do not produce work for our own consumption. On the other end of any video is a viewer. It is for this person that we produce. Whereas the creator of a project may fall in love with every shot and wish to include every frame in the final edit, the viewer is likely watching for more practical reasons. Whether the content is created to inform, instruct or entertain the viewer, the art of brevity is the winning concept.

As makers of media, we must be intentional to view our edits through the eyes of our audiences. In the viewers’ economy, any content that isn’t essential to the story or to the communication of the intended concept or message, represents sideways energy at minimum, but more likely, wasted time. In this age of web-distributed content, short attention spans combine with bandwidth restrictions and data limits, causing viewers to prefer productions that get to the point quickly. Today’s viewer is likely to click off any video that drags on too long without watching it in its entirety.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: The Condensed Edit

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Good post, Sidd.

"Less is More"

Not sure who said that but I ought to adopt it!!!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:28 pm

I've been in the less is more camp for quite awhile now. My main view audience is a 2yo & 5yo. I try to keep their "moobies" at 1 minute to 3 minutes. Personally, I prefer the 3 minutes when viewing others' videos. If it is a short film then 10 minutes. The story has to be engaging. I read somewhere a long time ago, but this could be back in dial up days, that you have to capture the viewer in the first 10 seconds.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:13 pm

_Paz_ wrote:"Less is More" Not sure who said that but I ought to adopt it!!!

It is from George Orwell's book entitled 1984.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:12 pm

This reminds me of a "DIY Video Guy" podcast I listened to yesterday that discussed "what is the proper length of a video?" I think the "proper length" depends on the type of video you are producing, but in general, I am also in the "keep it short" camp.

I watched a tutorial from Steve G years ago that stressed short vids, and it has stuck with me ever since. When one of my video projects exceeds the 3min point I start getting worried!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:34 am

It is from George Orwell's book entitled 1984.

Thank you, John.

I was once in a group of ladies who were discussing books they had read. A question that came up was, "What was the scariest book you ever read?"

Answers were "The Exorcist", "Amity Horror", several of Steven King's books, etc. I said "1984". None of them had ever heard of it.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler