They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

external drive

Talk about anything here.

external drive

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi All,
I have just had a Seagate 2TB External USB go down. No major loss as I do have a back-up. Which of course I will re back-up. What I am
asking is, is there anyway that external can be salvaged just in case I have been a little lapse in backing everything up if I added new stuff.
I am sure I am ok but just in case is there any way it can be salvaged I did google and there were certain things suggested but thought I
would ask you guys. Thanks for any suggestions Bubby ::C
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: external drive

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:06 pm

It's a very pricey process and not always completely successful.

Very wise of you to keep a backup, Bubby!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:24 pm

It kind of depends on what went wrong with the drive. Is it dead and does not work or does it power up but does not work. It kind of depends on what happened to see if can be saved. Do you have more of a description?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi Sidd
In answer to your question this is what occurs, when you connect to the USB lead sometimes it takes forever for it to be recognised
and if and when it does you can try to click on say a particular folder and the whole thing just freezes up, or if you are lucky it may work
but not for long, also it makes some weird noises. I had thought this for a while but all of a sudden it would be ok for a while. Yesterday
was when it finally gave it up. Funny thing I took it into my hubby's computer and it came on a ok. He then decided he would connect
it to his laptop, thought he would copy folders over to the HD until I went to buy another one. First of all it read fine, but when he
started to copy all of a sudden it would show absolutely nothing in the folder, he told me that I had nothing in the folders, which I knew
there was. I then took the external back to my PC and there was certainly things in the folder, but the same old problem did not want
to read it straight away and then when it did got half way then froze up. My other back-up works perfectly with the same folders on it.
I am off to day to get another external to back it up again. But I just wondered if the drive and folders could be salvaged. It was a Seagate.
Thanks for any suggestions Bubby
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi Bubby,

This is a fairly cheap, but very reliable tool. Same company that produces the backup software EaseUS. I have used this with excellent results and have purchased the software. I started with the slightly limited trial to be sure it was worth it ;)

http://www.easeus.com/landing/data-reco ... gQodMiEIYw
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:48 pm

By the way, did you happen to run the Windows Disk Error Check? Sometimes that's all it takes to fix a drive, it can recover a lot of stuff and sometimes it is just the disk index that gets screwed up. Windows can rebuild the index without losing too much of the data most of the time. If error checking is required for a drive on a regular basis it generally has meant that the drive is going and should be backed up as soon as possible.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the link, but my external now just sits there and makes some very weird noises. No I did not think to run the windows disk error check over it, thanks.
I think for once I did do the correct thing and kept a back-up. I will now be making another one. Thanks for all help Bubby
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:03 am

Weird noises are definitely not a good thing, glad you have a backup :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler