They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

need more help on picking a new computer

Talk about anything here.

need more help on picking a new computer

Postby videovillageidiot » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi everyone! I've been using my old Dell Studio for about a week and a half since my crashed hard drive was replaced...it's ok, but i've really been considering a new machine. THANKS for all the input you've given me in the old thread. Here are a couple of new choices...

DELL X87003312BLK at Best Buy... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-xps-de ... Id=9792136 The price at best buy is 1099.99 but can be price matched at amazon for 971.88 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISGCOU2/ref ... B00ISGCOU2

Then there's this one... X87002190BLK http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-xps-de ... Id=3722028 the BB price is 1169.99, but office depot has it for 899.99 (and BB says it will price match that). BB's site does not say it has a 32 GB SS drive, but Office Depot's description says yes (and the BB online rep i chatted with believes it has that). The only problem seems to be the 12 GB RAM (it may consist of three 4 GB units) which would make upgrading "awkward". Wouldn't i bascially have to pitch some to get to the max of 32? And i'm not completely sure this machine DOES max at 32. Office Depot description said 16; BB rep said 32.

Anyway, i know you all know far more about this stuff than me and i can't wait to hear what you think!!!

As always, THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH!!!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: need more help on picking a new computer

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:38 pm

A 32 GB SS drive does not seem like a lot of space.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:21 pm

Something you need to know. The home editions of Windows max out at 16GB. If you want more than 16GB RAM, you will need the Windows Professional OS. The 16GB model says it has Windows 7 Professional so you can add more RAM to that PC if you want, but, the 12GB model just says it has Windows 8.1 so it will max out at 16GB.

That PC has four slots for RAM. The 16GB model would ship with four 4GB RAM modules using up all slots. To go to 32GB, you would need to replace all four 4GB RAM modules with 8GB modules. I don't know how the 12GB model is configured, if it comes with three 4GB modules you could add another 4GB module to bring it to 16GB. But, if it comes with two 4GB and two 2GB modules, you will need to get two 4GB modules.

I didn't look at Office Depot to see what their model is like. If you're considering that one, be sure to check which version of Windows it comes with (Home or Professional). I'd be leery of a 32GB SSD. That's awfully small. I wouldn't go below 64GB. But, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 128GB unless you are deliberately looking to create a maintenance headache for yourself. In general, the bigger the better. I use a 256GB SSD.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:47 pm

Bob wrote:I'd be leery of a 32GB SSD. That's awfully small. I wouldn't go below 64GB. But, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 128GB unless you are deliberately looking to create a maintenance headache for yourself. In general, the bigger the better. I use a 256GB SSD.

+1.

I have a (now relatively old) 120GB HDD. When I bought it prices were still quite high compared to now. It works OK but if I were in the market to replace it I would be looking at 256GB minimum as the start point.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:59 am

If the price point is what you are after you can always replace the 32GB SSD with a 250 GB SSD and just clone the drive. Then keep the 32 GB SSD as a backup for a fresh install.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby BuddyB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 am

Me personally I'm leery of Dell. At Comcast I work with several who've been Dell employees. They do not speak kindly of the quality built into the equipment. However, all our computers are Dell and they have been rock solid for an extended period of time. I believe, but really don't know, Dell approaches the corporate world differently than the public. I don't want to be unfair VVI, so I'm only passing along what I hear. Personally, I'm an ASUS mb guy with an AMD processor and it serves me well. I bought my wife an ASUS laptop with I7 and it's dynamite, spent 1 thousand on it. Bob thanks for that info on Home and Pro. It will serve me when I get ready to upgrade.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:44 pm

BuddyB wrote: with an AMD processor

Intel is preferred for Premiere Pro.
Peru

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:39 pm

No matter what I choose (and thanks for all your input!!!) I think I need to move quickly! I'm taking the old machine back tonite because the new hard drive started making an awful stutter noise and the computer froze last nite!!! :ha:

sidd finch wrote:A 32 GB SS drive does not seem like a lot of space.

Sidd

True...though the presence of a SS drive may explain why the price was higher (especially when it only has 12 GB of RAM).

Bob wrote:Something you need to know. The home editions of Windows max out at 16GB. If you want more than 16GB RAM, you will need the Windows Professional OS. The 16GB model says it has Windows 7 Professional so you can add more RAM to that PC if you want, but, the 12GB model just says it has Windows 8.1 so it will max out at 16GB.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT INFORMATION!! I had no idea about that! Very helpful! That justifies a little more expense for the Pro computer.

Bob wrote:That PC has four slots for RAM. The 16GB model would ship with four 4GB RAM modules using up all slots. To go to 32GB, you would need to replace all four 4GB RAM modules with 8GB modules. I don't know how the 12GB model is configured, if it comes with three 4GB modules you could add another 4GB module to bring it to 16GB. But, if it comes with two 4GB and two 2GB modules, you will need to get two 4GB modules.

I online chatted with a Best Buy rep - I was assured that the 16GB machine would ship with 2 8GB modules which means I could upgrade without pitching any. Of course, I always wonder if they are giving me the correct information! 8-[

Bob wrote:I didn't look at Office Depot to see what their model is like. If you're considering that one, be sure to check which version of Windows it comes with (Home or Professional). I'd be leery of a 32GB SSD. That's awfully small. I wouldn't go below 64GB. But, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 128GB unless you are deliberately looking to create a maintenance headache for yourself. In general, the bigger the better. I use a 256GB SSD.

The Office Depot machine (with the same xp87002190BLK model # as the Best Buy version) just says Windows 8.1; i'm guessing if it were the Pro version they would say that. I suspect it's the exact same windows 8.1 that Best Buy's 12GB machine ships with.

And as far as me deliberately looking to create a maintenance headache for myself…pretty much everyone here knows I can create headaches for myself WITHOUT EVEN TRYING!!! ](*,) ](*,)

BuddyB wrote:Me personally I'm leery of Dell.

I've actually had great luck with many Dells over the years, so I'm fairly comfortable with that choice...but who really knows with any individual machine, right? :-8

Peru wrote:
BuddyB wrote: with an AMD processor

Intel is preferred for Premiere Pro.

Thanks Peru - that's good to know. I never understood AMD - what does it take to be equivalent to a particular Intel processor? I think I better stick with Intel!

Sooooo...I think I may order the 16 GB Windows Pro computer...unless I change my mind! :roll: (Oh and I see Best Buy has it on sale for $84 less today, though that's still more than Amazon's price). THANKS all and any further recs/comments would be great!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:17 am

Go get'em VVI. I'm sure whatever you choose will be just fine. Peru, didn't know that thanks; will definitely keep that in mind the next time. My wife's ASUS notebook (I7), 2.4ghz is quicker than my 3.2 AMD. A lesson learned.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler