They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD Printing

Talk about anything here.

DVD Printing

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:06 pm

My Epson printer passed away a while back and I purchased a Canon Pixma MP990 which I really liked. Found a video on YouTube about how to enable the DVD printing and was able to get a DVD tray, it worked great. The DVD printing was not available on Canon printers in the USA but it was possible to remove the plastic cover over the DVD slot and make it work.

A few weeks ago the MP990 also passed away and I was forced to get a new printer, I was very surprised to see a Canon Pixma MX922 with functional DVD printing !! Not sure when the change came about where companies other than Epson could sell printers with direct to DVD printing but I am sure happy.

Does anyone know about when this changed and if any other printer companies are now providing direct to DVD printing capabilities?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: DVD Printing

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Can't answer your specific question but I sure wish they had that model when I was shopping for printers. I ended up buying the Prixma MX892. Great printer but no DVD printing and I haven't found any tutorials for modifying it to accept DVD's.

Edited post to add: Ink cartridges found on Amazon for the Prixma series seem to be working. Very cheap. Like only a couple dollars for a cartridge. When you get notice that cartridge is empty, just hit the printer OK button and it will last weeks/months longer. When the cartridge is truly empty the printer will just stop until you replace it.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: DVD Printing

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:31 pm

I use refillable cartridges and ink from PrintPayLess.com I've also tried a couple of their Constant Ink Supply Systems. I prefer the refillable cartridges and easily save hundreds of dollars every year.

The MP990 had a really great scanner that the MX922 does not have, I am hanging onto the MP990 just for the scanner. I checked the MX892 and don't see anywhere that says it can print on DVDs sorry to say. Looks like prior to the MX922 it was only the MP models that printed to DVD.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler