They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

External monitors

Talk about anything here.

External monitor - do you use one?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 5

External monitors

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:09 pm

Do you use an external monitor during filming, and if so, what kind? They seem like a good idea but I haven't gotten one yet.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: External monitors

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes. Two. As with most things, there are advantages and disadvantages for both.

For the GoPro I'm using a small Android smart phone with the GoPro app. I've worked out two ways to use it. One, strapped on the PilotFly gimbal via a bike clamp, a phone holder I bought from Amazon and ball joint connection, the other, strapped with the same connections, but worn on my left arm on a wrist band over a tennis players' sweat band. I'll try to put something together to show it.

For all my cameras with an HDMI connector, including the GoPro, a 7" Vivitek, hi def, field monitor with peaking and a couple of other features. (Peaking draws outlines around areas that are in focus, on this particular monitor, in the color of your choice. It's fabulous for making sure you have focus. If you're trying to focus, say on a red flower, you can change the color to something other than red so you can see the lines.)

I now wish I'd gotten a field monitor with wifi. Some of the Vivitek's have it. At the time I bought it, I had never considered flying a quad copter, or using a GoPro with wifi either. (It is possible that an Android device might still have been required to download the app.)

The Vivitek has a sunshade that helps a great deal. My smart phone doesn't. (yet). Resolution is good on both. Although the numbers wouldn't seem so, they both appear as high definition.

Being a small smart phone, my Moto e is still large to have strapped on your wrist. Seems a bit small when trying to see the image, especially in bright light and since the image is delayed by wi fi transmission for a second or so. It's really nice to be able to change the GoPro settings on the phone instead of having to use the GoPro buttons combinations menu.

The Vivitek is waaaaay too large to wear on your arm! But it's better, larger, easier to see, sunshade, when it can be connected to a tripod. I use the same bicycle clamp to connect it to the tripod arm, but I use a much stronger, metal ball head.

I may have some Vivitek pics already posted here. I'll check my website folder and if they're here, I'll post links.

I thought about the GoPro back but read there were some overheating issues with the GP4 black. That would be nice because (I THINK) the feed would be in true real time. (Is that correct, Mom?)

I also looked at the Removu, a wristband viewer featured as one potential choice in the video below...
http://www.removu.com/

but I decided for about the same price I'd go with a small and cheap smart phone instead. Being able to transfer minutes I already had and keeping my same cheap carrier (Tracphone) made it be more reasonable. In addition, the smart phone can control the position of my PilotFly gimbal remotely via bluetooth and another Android app. And there's GPS positions, etc., that made the phone more attractive than the Removu too. PLUS, I began to suspect that with the Removu, I'd STILL have to have an Android phone to download the app. I emailed them and asked. No reply.

Keep in mind that Vivitek has support in both the USA and the UK, but ONLY if you purchase from them. I bought mine from Vivitek, through Amazon. I don't think Vivitek sells on eBay.

Comparison of monitors:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGnywJ4R0hw[/youtube]
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks Patrice, I forgot about that thread. Very helpful!!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler