They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Do unused new cell phones degrade over time?

Talk about anything here.

Do unused new cell phones degrade over time?

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 pm

In a previous post, we discussed the concept that motherboards and some of the other components of computers that have never been used will deteriorate over time; therefore, it may not make sense to have "backups" of favorite hardware, even if kept under ideal storage conditions in their original shipping containers.

My questions are:

1) Is that also true for cellular phones, even if in the original container and even if used only once to ascertain that it is fully functional?

2) What is the shelf life of the phone's removable battery, if it has never been activated (used)?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Do unused new cell phones degrade over time?

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:19 am

I have been using the same Trak Motorola phone with same battery for 8 years. No degradation in service. Can't answer the question on shelf life but I'm willing to bet it's a long time.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:22 pm

Electromigration is the transport of material caused by the gradual movement of the ions in a conductor due to the momentum transfer between conducting electrons and diffusing metal atoms. The effect is important in applications where high direct current densities are used, such as in microelectronics and related structures. As the structure size in electronics such as integrated circuits (ICs) decreases, the practical significance of this effect increases.

At the end of the 1960s J. R. Black developed an empirical model to estimate the MTTF (mean time to failure) of a wire, taking electromigration into consideration. Since then, the formula has gained popularity in the semiconductor industry. :[3][5]

\text{MTTF} =( A /(J^{n}) )e^{\frac{E_a}{k T}}

Here A is a constant based on the cross-sectional area of the interconnect, J is the current density, E_a is the activation energy (e.g. 0.7 eV for grain boundary diffusion in aluminum), k is the Boltzmann's constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin and n a scaling factor (usually set to 2 according to Black).[3] The temperature of the conductor appears in the exponent, i.e. it strongly affects the MTTF of the interconnect. For an interconnect to remain reliable as the temperature rises, the maximum tolerable current density of the conductor must necessarily decrease. However, as interconnect technology advances at the nanometer scale, the validity of Black's equation becomes increasingly questionable.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 pm

I haven't seen any figures on the life expectancy of mobile phone hardware. Most people want to replace them relatively frequently to take advantage of new features and styling. I would suspect that storage wouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you're not planning on storing them away for very many years. The most age related failure prone components are the capacitors and mobile phones use more stable solid state components that don't dry out or leak and tolerate heat better. But, long term you're going to have problems getting firmware and software updates. Even if you can, today's phone may not have the oomph to be able to run tomorrow's apps.

Mobile phone batteries, on the other hand, are not going to store well. Most phones are using Lithium Ion batteries now. Lithium Ion batteries are expected to last about 3 years in daily use. If stored unused, they will deteriorate. All batteries will self discharge over time. If allowed to discharge completely, a Lithium Ion battery will be permanently ruined. Even if not allowed to discharge to the level that damage is done, the capacity will be permanently reduced by chemical changes within the cell. A Lithium Ion cell stored at 100% charge at room temperature will permanently lose about 20% of its capacity in about a year. That can be reduced by storage at a cooler temperature (but don't freeze them!) and by storing them with about a 40% charge.
Bob

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:56 pm

Bob, is there anything you don't know??? :YY:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Ron Hunter wrote:Bob, is there anything you don't know??? :YY:

He doesn't know the answer to that question. :mrgreen:
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Peru wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:Bob, is there anything you don't know??? :YY:

He doesn't know the answer to that question. :mrgreen:

He knows the answer, but he is too modest to reply -- if he does not know the answer immediately, then he knows where to find the answer quickly.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:45 pm

Bob wrote:Mobile phone batteries, on the other hand, are not going to store well.

I've had no problem purchasing batteries, for $5, that arrive with the correct 40% charge for my 11-year-old Nokia 6820; problem is, it will not function well with the new 4GLTE cell tower that ATT recently put up nearby.

So, I was sent at no cost a new in the box, LG Pro G 4GLTE unit that has a pre-Kit Kat, pre-Lollipop operating system, and it does everything that I need, and more, from a smartphone; therefore, I have no need or intention ever to "upgrade" it.

Extra batteries are currently readily available for $7.

The reason for the inquiry is that, if ever I have the funds I'd like to purchase a backup unit to have available if ever the current one fails or is mishandled.

Thanks once again for the detailed reply.

Sidd, thank you, too.

:tx:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler