They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

West Coast - great video!

Talk about anything here.

West Coast - great video!

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:09 pm

I found a video today that was shot on a Canon 5D Mark III (Magic Lantern raw mode) and the Panasonic GH4. I think this guy is a pro but I'm not sure; his video certainly seems professionally done. The footage is beautiful!

I like how this filmmaker put together snippets from various places in a non-sequential order. For example, not all of the San Francisco clips were together; they were scattered throughout the video. And he used no narration or sound from the original footage, he simply placed a soundtrack over all of the clips.

I also like how he combined different perspectives. Shots of feet (hey Mom!), silhouettes of his wife against a sunset sky, shots from the back of a car, shots out the window of a car, etc etc etc. Not just "eye level" shots, but a really nice mix of perspectives. And he threw in some slo-mo and time lapses too.

Normally when I watch a video I try to determine if the editing matches the music beat, but I got lost in this video and didn't even think about that. I'm sure there was color grading in post but you don't think about that either as you watch it.

I wish my vacation videos were this cool! Always have something to aspire to!!

Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: West Coast - great video!

Postby sidd finch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Great find that was really well done.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:16 pm

I agree - a great video. The color was beautiful and the editing inventive. And it had feet! :mrgreen:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Ron, Henry Ford wrote "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" .
According to my experience, if you can dream something you will be able to create and share it ... and very seldom we bring our dreams to consciousness.

I watched again "Rowan County", I think that your creativity calls you to a complete explanation of your vision and that your talent of documentarist could find its way also in expressing only by images, like in Daniel Thurau's video.

I am looking forward to seeing your shots from your holidays and I wonder what would come out if you, like I often do, always kept your handycam in your hand.. I feel as if I have a third eye capable of framing to share.
A written composition springs easily if the writer's vocabulary is huge, a daily updated repository of memories, not shot for the purpose of a single project, is the passionate filmmaker's resource.

Approximately in one year I experimented dragging on the timeline video sequences rather from still pics, and composing was as much nice: it was astonishing amazing thinking that the fantasmagoric creations of my beloved creators too were cuts on the timeline...

Then I learned from Muvipix community to "keep on experimenting" and to "be myself"... I'm on my way and I have a lot of fun.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Beautiful filming! :TU:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Great video -- although Las Vegas isn't really the true West Coast.

Even still, the half-second shot of the In-N-Out Burger alone won my mind and heart!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:52 am

Francesco Carzedda wrote:A written composition springs easily if the writer's vocabulary is huge, a daily updated repository of memories, not shot for the purpose of a single project, is the passionate filmmaker's resource.

That is a great point Francesco! I had not thought of it that way before. I usually only break out my camera to document a specific event or to shoot footage for a specific project. However, by shooting footage every day, even if it is of "regular" daily activities, that will provide ample material to create any number of projects in the future.

Outstanding idea, thanks for sharing!! :TU:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:39 am

Ron,

unplanned shots reveal a fantastic world, I think it is the dimension where footsteps and footprints on the shore come from, great facial expressions, amazing shadows and reflections.

I was shooting a statue in the round (ehm, just 45 degrees) and I tried to keep my hand steady and my movements regular: only when I distracted myself and the action became automatic the shot was satisfying, as well in the display as on the pc monitor.

I don't know if I'll ever see a dragon or a dinosaur in my life, but it will certainly occur when I leave my videocam at home :-)

Keep on dreaming, sharing will be easier :tup: (y)
:yh:
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:20 pm

"Marvelous, just marvelous!" -- Billy Crystal

Question: What is the procedure for having the videos appear so large on this site -- must they first be uploaded elsewhere and then linked to?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:27 am

You are correct George.

Vimeo seems to have the best of both worlds in terms of control features and ease of use. There are no annoying ads and you just get buttery smooth video.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler