They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Learn from me - Refurb Camera

Talk about anything here.

Learn from me - Refurb Camera

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 am

I bought a Canon Rebel T4i DSLR as a refurb directly from Canon in Dec'2013. The price was great and I was excited to get a new toy! Back then it never occurred to me to check the number of shutter actuations during my return window.

Last night I finally checked the shutter actuation count and was shocked to learn the camera has almost 45k actuations!! The camera should be good for at least 50k actuations and I can always have another shutter installed, but clearly the lifetime of this camera will be dramatically shorter than I had planned.

I've done a few time lapses with image counts > 1000 so I know some of those actuations are mine. I have probably put no more than 15k actuations myself, and that is being "generous". That means the camera had about 30k actuations on it when I got it.

I'm not complaining about the camera, it is great and I love using it. I knew the camera was used so I went into this with my eyes open. However, if I had checked the actuation count when I bought it and learned it had already taken over 30k pictures, I would have returned it immediately.

So, if you are in the market for a DSLR and are thinking used/refurb, plan to check the shutter actuation count before you seal the deal. Some cameras will display this in their menus but Canon requires external software on a PC/Mac to do this. Do some research on this before you buy.

Or just save yourself the hassle and buy a new one!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Learn from me - Refurb Camera

Postby Peru » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:48 pm

That's good to know. Thanks for the tip. :tup:
Peru

Re: Learn from me - Refurb Camera

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:13 am

I suspect the seller will not tell you the shutter count so you will have to buy the camera, then try to determine the count. Not worth the hassle for me.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler