They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Computer Woe is Me again

Talk about anything here.

Computer Woe is Me again

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:53 pm

A few days ago everything locked up, wouldn't boot, nothing.

I used some external drives and Mr. B's laptop to transfer all my files to another hard drive. Then I re-installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my 1T (1 terrabyte) hard drive.

I believe all my old files are still there. I can see image files, but not open them, and can read some text files with notepad.

My programs appear to still exist under a "windows.old" folder. Some are in Programs, some are in Programs X86.

I've copied and pasted the files for such programs as Photoshop CS6, Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects CS6 in all the places I've seen reference to them, being careful to keep things in the same header, that is either Programs or Programs X86.

Windows Explorer does not see the programs. I can't open them.

I did manage to get Firefox installed. I put an icon in my taskbar and I can click and connect (only when directly connected via ethernet cable to the cable modem, but that's another problem.) Windows Explorer does not see Firefox as a program either.

I do have the .exe files for most of my programs. Not for After Effects, I think. Do I need to run the .exe files and install again?

I was able to get all my verification codes from the Adobe site.

:ha:

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Computer Woe is Me again

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:24 pm

You definitely should re-install your programs rather than trying to just copy them over from a backup.

Often your installation includes data files and registry changes -- things you can't just copy and paste.

On the other hand, if your previous operating system was the same version, you should be able to copy the user data and documents right from your Windows.old directory.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks, Steve. I'll do that.

Just got my wireless router working again. Yea! Now I can get up off this footstool and back to a more comfortable location!

Does anyone know how to get my old Thunderbird emails and email address book back?

What about my Firefox favorites/bookmarks?

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:59 pm

_Paz_ wrote:
Does anyone know how to get my old Thunderbird emails and email address book back?

Paz

I have Thunderbird on my computer at work. I'm home now, but I'll check the location of the emails tomorrow and let you know where on the drive they are located.
Peru

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:07 pm

_Paz_ wrote:What about my Firefox favorites/bookmarks?
Paz

Try the links listed here:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... rks+stored
Peru

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks, Peru.

Those links led me to this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles

It looks like I should be able to locate my profile and move the info to the correct spot on the drive.

I'll run an internet search on the same for Thunderbird and keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to retrieve my emails too. I've stupidly kept my email receipts in a folder in Thunderbird. That means all the registration key codes for all software I've bought online when I couldn't get a physical disk are there.

signed,

Dummy
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:21 am

For Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, my Thunderbird emails are located at:

C:\Users\MY USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\bmrvndwj.default\Mail\Local Folders

You should be able to just copy them from your external drive to the proper location on the hard drive.
Peru

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks, Peru.

I'm sure that's where they should be. They're not. Not in windows.old or in the supposedly exact copy I made to an external drive.

So - I've reinstalled the OS, working on reinstalling programs I have the registration key codes to. I always buy a hard disc when I can, so I'll probably have most of them.

The wireless network is working again for internet and printer. I've downloaded the latest software for my i1Display and calibrated the monitor. Tried making a print and it looks OK.

Manged to get my 15 year old Dreamweaver 3 installed by copying it from windows.old. No way Macromedia can verify it now, so it looked like it wouldn't 'take' for the longest until I tried copying what had been working. I also found my Macromedia DW 8 disc and think it is going to work. It clicked a checkbox when I put in the DW3 version registration code and then said it couldn't be installed. But it is still there and appears to be functional. It will take a while to get my websites back into the DW3 version...I have to remember my login name for the control panel of my websites! I guess I can call them if I can't get in.

All my bookmarks are gone. All my passwords. All my emails. All my email addresses. Actually, I count myself lucky. If this had to happen, I'm glad it happened now, before I have any students signed up.

Also, fortunately, with all the recent hacking I've been changing my passwords often and I have a list of the most important ones. From now on I'll make a hard copy print of all receipts and keep a record of all registration codes. I'll also back up my email addresses to another drive.

Speaking of which, if I've communicated with any of you via email, that means I've lost your address. If you'd like to stay in touch, please drop me a line.

Thanks for all your help.

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler