They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Thoughts on using DSLR for video

Talk about anything here.

Thoughts on using DSLR for video

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm wrapping up a beach vacation and I used my GoPro and DSLR for video. I've learned quite a bit with those tools this week, and I now have a renewed appreciation for a dedicated camcorder, versus a DSLR, for video.

I know a DSLR has many advantages and, in the right hands, can produce amazing footage. However, here is an example of how my DSLR shoots went this week: "OK, put the LCD viewfinder on the camera. Gonna be bright out there so put the variable ND filter on. Put the camera in manual focus. Use the zoom button to zoom into the subject's eyes, then manually focus until sharp. Now check exposure. Gotta keep the shutter at 1/60" since I plan to produce a 30fps video, so adjust aperture accordingly. Oh wait, too bright on the beach and the picture is blown out, dial down the variable ND filter to reduce the light. Darn, I forgot about the white balance, better put that on "sunlight". OK, metering looks good but the ISO is still too high, adjust the aperture to get good exposure with low ISO. Wait, did I turn on the shotgun mic? Yep, it's on. OK, exposure nailed, focus looks good, white balance is good, mic's on, now press the...awww, the bird moved already!"

Most of the DSLR footage I recorded has "soft focus". That is almost certainly operator error and maybe will get better with more practice.

Another thing I learned with the DSLR; forget about hand-holding it for video, at least indoors. The footage I got with the DSLR really shows shaking. I tried hard to hold the DSLR steady but even with an "image stabilization" lens, the footage has lots of shakes. I tried a 50mm lens (f/2.8) and a 18-135mm lens (set to 50mm, with f/5.0), and the footage was shaky for both lenses.

Conversely, I have been amazed this week at how versatile the GoPro is. I used the GoPro in a dive housing, attached to a monopod, and I was able to take that thing everywhere. Perfect in the surf, in the car, everywhere. Yes, it has limitations too, but it was very convenient and produced tack sharp footage with great color.

All of this has led me to believe that a DSLR is not the be-all and end-all for video, like I once thought it was. Instead, I think a DSLR is a tool in the videographer's tool box. Some situations may benefit from a DSLR, some will benefit from a GoPro, others a dedicated camcorder.

I'm kind of rambling here, but this week has been an eye-opener for me so I thought I would share some of what I've learned.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Thoughts on using DSLR for video

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:30 pm

On the subject of shaky footage, I think the shaky DSLR footage may have been due to the lower light available indoors.

DSLR footage I shot outside at Tiger World earlier this month did not shake, even though I didn't use a monopod/tripod. And this week I noticed the outdoor shots have no shake, even though I didn't use a monopod/tripod. However, the indoor shots were shaky. Of course, the indoor shots had much less light so the aperture had to be more open.

Is the more open aperture the culprit behind the shaky indoor footage??
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:45 pm

Ron Hunter wrote:
I know a DSLR has many advantages and, in the right hands, can produce amazing footage. However, here is an example of how my DSLR shoots went this week: "OK, put the LCD viewfinder on the camera. Gonna be bright out there so put the variable ND filter on. Put the camera in manual focus. Use the zoom button to zoom into the subject's eyes, then manually focus until sharp. Now check exposure.

Yep, that is shooting with a DSLR! Our beach vacation I only took the DSLR out of the bag 1 day. The remainder was with the GoPro. Very versatile especially walking around in 90+ degrees in Mexico. I liked that it didn't draw attention to myself too.

For the shutter speed, I try to keep it 2x the lens length and more. Usually I set the shutter at 120 minimum and then go up from there to get the correct exposure. Sometimes running into 500+ shutter speed. For what I shoot works for me. Now, the dedicated film maker may want better control.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks Mom, I feel better knowing you had the same experience!
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kent Frost » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:36 pm

When I shoot on my DSLR, I like keeping the ISO at auto, giving me full control of shutter speed and aperture. That way if I have to adjust something, it's not 4 different things, just the shutter speed or aperture (and focus, of course), and if I've got my aperture giving the depth of field I like, I'll just play with the shutter speed if the ISO can't automatically nail the exposure, which it usually does. And honestly, although hitting that 180º shutter rule is ideal (1/60th sec @ 30fps -or- 1/50th @ 24fps), there's certainly nothing wrong with going higher on the shutter speed than that, as momoffduty has expressed, especially if you're shooting action. Generally, you just don't want to go lower than that 180º mark or you'll get motion blurry footage. If nothing else, that ND filter will help with being able to use the slower shutter speeds, helping to preserve that 180º effect.

EDIT:
Oh, and as for the shaky footage, whether you're using a DSLR or not, a monopod is TREMENDOUSLY helpful. It's very easy to use and, in my opinion, not cumbersome like a tripod.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 pm

As Kent noted a monopod is invaluable. I have been using the Warp Stabilizer in PrPro a lot lately. Of course if you are panning across the stabilizer tends to make video jello.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chris B » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:54 pm

I've got a Nex-5n - which is nearly a dslr. :-D My experience is you often miss with the focus - the camera likes to keep the depth of field low and subjects that aren't planned shots (especially fast moving children) often move out of it. However the inbuilt stabiliser is much better than that in my HV30.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby BuddyB » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:13 am

Speaking of Jello here I am :mrgreen: . Cheryl, after our talk on DSLR vs Video Cam I have a confession. I bought a Canon SX20IS to use for still and motion, basically because I do both and can't afford what I want at the moment. It shoots great stills and for certain things I do with motion the 1280X720 will do for the moment. When I begin to generate some bucks then I'll kick it on up. It's kinda' like the pickers here in Music City. They throw a few notes on paper and adlib through the session. The music may have an off spot or two, but the listening audion never hears it. Only the astute pro, or semi-pro may hear..maybe. Other than Fabian some of Fats Domino's stuff would smack you right between the eyes, but they were hits anyway. Thank goodness for the average bear..:)
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:39 pm

It seems like the DSLR are best when used in a very controlled enviroment and on a tripod or monopod. Most of the scenarios described above fall into that guerilla style run and gun. There are too many variables. No if you shoot for National Geographic I am sure you have the "on the run" thing nailed.

To me the small form factor and excellent video quality is what draws me to the GoPro's or my Sony HC1 that I still use.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:27 pm

At a recent picnic I took about 40 photos with about 15 keepers with the DSLR. My Aunt took 100+ photos with her point and shoot. She got some really good shots of activities, people conversing, etc. My posed group shots were better. In one shot I was waiting for people to get crowded together and in line for the group pose and I took a photo. Since I shot RAW, I was able to crop it down to just my cousin interacting with her grandkids. Advantages and disadvantages.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:30 pm

sidd finch wrote:It seems like the DSLR are best when used in a very controlled enviroment and on a tripod or monopod. Most of the scenarios described above fall into that guerilla style run and gun. There are too many variables. No if you shoot for National Geographic I am sure you have the "on the run" thing nailed.

To me the small form factor and excellent video quality is what draws me to the GoPro's or my Sony HC1 that I still use.

Sidd

Yep, I'm with you Sidd. My experience at the beach has made me lean more towards the GoPro or Canon HFR400 camcorder for everything, except maybe a sit-down interview. I'm still amazed how sharp and beautiful the GoPro footage was.

Do you know if the Hero3 Black edition has better video quality than my older HD Hero 2???
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kent Frost » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Ron Hunter wrote:Do you know if the Hero3 Black edition has better video quality than my older HD Hero 2???

I think so, personally. I started with the HDH2 and a year later got the HDH3 (not the 3+), and the image quality in general is much better, it's sharper, better color reproduction, better low-light capability, and the microphone is MUCH better than the HDH2.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks Kent, that helps a bunch!
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:19 pm

The 3+ tweaked the focus to make close objects sharper. There has been a lot of talk on the Internet about how the infinity focus is now much softer than earlier models and there are tutorials about how to adjust the lens for sharper infinity focus (invalidating the warranty of course).
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:25 pm

I have a GPH3B and got a chance to use a GPH3B+ and the "+" is much sharper for nearer objects. But I like to shoot a lot of scenery and so I personally like the GPH3B better. But when the "+" is attached to a Macro lens there is no comparision. the "+" is much sharper.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Next

Return to Water Cooler