They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Looking for ideas on DSLR filter case

Talk about anything here.

Looking for ideas on DSLR filter case

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:57 pm

I'm looking for an easy way to access my many filters. I always keep a UV on my DSLR, but I also use a polarizer, ND filters, and a white balance cap. In addition to screw-on filters, I also use Cokin "P" graduated ND filters. I am looking for a convenient way to carry my filters and access them in a hurry. To complicate matters, I have 2 different lens sizes... the 18-135 is 67mm and the 55-250 is 58mm.

I have seen this case http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248143-REG/Tamrac_MXS536301_MX_S5363_Compact_Filter_Case.html that carries 3 filters and is made to be used with my Tamrac Evolution 8 camera backpack. This one would accomodate only one set of my most frequently used screw-on filters. Also, it will not hold the graduated ND's.

There is also a case that can hold more filters... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248131-REG/Tamrac_MX538801_MX5388_Filter_Belt_Pack.html/prm/alsVwDtl but I'm not sure if it's too bulky to attach to the pack's strap and, unfortunately, I don't think it will hold the "P" size GND's.

At the very least, I should consider keeping a step-up ring on the 58mm and just haul one set of filters to lighten the load. Using a 18-135 lens, I hope to need my longer lens less frequently, so swapping filters might not be too annoying.

Anybody have any ideas? THANKS!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Looking for ideas on DSLR filter case

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:06 pm

That's a tough one.

Back in the film days, I had a pretty extensive collection of filters and I used filter stack caps to keep them organized and handy. That worked for me. The stack was about the size of a lens and fit easily into my camera bag. These days, with digital, I find I need only a few filters: a UV which stays on the lens, circular polarizers, and a couple of ND filters. And, they fit easily in a side pouch on the camera bag in their original plastic case. I still have lots of room in my bag for other stuff.

If you really need a separate case, the ones you linked to are good and will match the main bag. But, you do have the limitations you describe. If you don't mind a mismatch, Lowepro makes a bigger belt case, but I would find that a bit unwieldy -- that one is really designed to be worn on the hip, not on the bag. They do make sleeve filter holders that hold more filters. I've seen up to nine. If you decide to go that route, avoid the ones with vinyl sleeves, they will stick to the filter and leave marks. The mesh or cloth pockets are fine. The Cokin filters are a bit of a problem. You may need to get a separate case designed specifically for those type of filters.
Bob

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Thanks Bob...I can always count on you for great info! That cap thing is interesting; never saw that before.

I find that if equipment is too tough to get out of the bag, I'm less likely to use it. My pack allows me to grab the camera from the side, so it's easier to get at. I sometimes have a hard time holding onto things (like my filters) and fumbling in my pack and then juggling filter cases to find the right one(s) and opening one or more and putting them on, etc. involves the risk of dropping and ruining them. (Don't forget, I'm the one who lost a grip on her tripod and destroyed a Canon XTi a few years ago...yuck).

The little Tamrac will be worn on the front strap so it's accessible...yeah the Cokin GND's will be a problem, but their value in landscape shooting is often worth the hassle.

Thanks again Bob!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:17 am

Hmmm... Good question. An idea that came to mind...

I keep my filters in their original cases and store them in various pockets of a 'photographer's vest'. It can be difficult to find the right one, right pocket, etc.

Your question and the packs indicated reminded me of an old "CD Wallet" I have that I stopped using when I installed a multi CD changer in my car. This particular model is designed to hold 16 CDs. I doubt this could hold that many filters since the filters are thicker.

Wrapping each filter in a soft paper towel, like a "Select a Size" Bounty sheet might help prevent scratches and protect from the vinyl.

An even more serious potential problem with this specific CD Wallet is that the filters could slip out through the top of the pocket, even when closed. There are many available with zipper edges.

just a thought

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:00 am

Paz you are so clever!! And look what I just found on Amazon...it's like Tamrac read your mind! http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-127-Photographers-FilterPak/dp/B00IDXIH06/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404009014&sr=1-1&keywords=photographer+filterpak

This item might actually be an option except the size is bigger than will fit easily in my pack.

I'm considering ordering the small Tamrac 3-fiter case to wear on the backpack strap and also using a small fanny pack (worn on the front) to hold "P" filters, the Cokin holder and adapter rings, and filters for whichever lens is not currently on the camera.

The main reason for needing quick access is that my upcoming trip is a "tour". Photo stops will be few and, I expect, of short duration, so fiddling in my pack will really slow me down.

Thanks again Paz!! You always give us something to think about!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler