They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

motion blur - Treefrog in motion

Talk about anything here.

motion blur - Treefrog in motion

Postby _Paz_ » Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 am

When i wanted him/her to be still !

I like this shot except the setting isn't good. Here you can see what the texture of his back should look like.

I'd like to do a Ken Burns pan through this shot for my video/ painting. Froggie didn't stay here long, I'm not sure if he was landing or taking off again.

Here is a 100% crop of the frog. In closeup view it is easy to see the lines of white that are bumps on his back in motion. I've tried using PSCS6 motion blur to see if I could settle him down but I don't see any difference when I move the compass direction bar. Any thoughts on a better way to fix this other than 'painting' in each spot? I'll already have to do that when I paint him. ugh

http://www.patriceart.com/muvi/treefrog_crop_0826.jpg

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: motion blur - Treefrog in motion

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Well, remember that, if you're adding the photo to a video, you will be working in video resolution -- so even if your original photo shows great detail, you're only going to get, at best, 1920x1080 in your video -- or, if it's video for a DVD or standard definition video, 720x480 pixels.

So there's no point in painting in detail that won't actually show up on your finished video anyway.

BTW, have you tried running an Unsharp Mask on the wider shot of the frog? It may bring out more detail in the original photo.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Sat May 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks Steve. I hadn't considered that there would be a difference in resolution nor have I ever taken a higher def still into a video.

Which do you think would be more likely to happen? The blur won't show? Or it will look even worse?

I use a high def monitor. Not sure I would see things the way the majority of people would see it. (I sometimes visit my local library to get an idea.)
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sat May 10, 2014 1:12 pm

A tip on how to figure out how to set the needle for motion blur:

http://planetphotoshop.com/determining-the-motion-angle-in-smart-sharpen.html

Looks as if the angle indicator should be IN LINE with the motion you want to cancel.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 10, 2014 2:17 pm

I'd do some experimenting, Paz, and see what effects what.

But just be aware in the meantime that video resolution is never going to be as fine as photographic resolution.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby roadsideron » Sat May 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Is this something like what you're trying to do?
treefrog_0834 sharpened.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby roadsideron » Sat May 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Here's a shot at the second one;

treefrog_700px_08261 second try.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun May 11, 2014 9:15 am

Those do look good, Ron. I posted mine with no sharpening. What settings did you use?

What I'm trying to do is get rid of the bluish-white-grey streaks that run diagonally from upper left to lower right on a portion of the frog's back. Easy to see in the full resolution link I posted above... not so easy in the reduced file... and obviously that's what Steve was trying to tell me without using the word "obsessive" which I so richly deserve.

Here is a full resolution crop (small enough to not break forum formatting) of the offending area where froggie's body is in greatest motion:

If I were painting him in pastel, I'd probably want to include the streaks, perhaps emphasize them to indicate his motion. But in a tight, botanical illustration watercolor format, I'd like to resolve his streaks into bumps. The best I've been able to do with Adobe's Motion Blur fix is this, which looks awful.

I'm not terribly skilled in Photoshop although I have been using it for basics for many years. And I've never been able to get Motion Blur to work for me. I was hoping someone would know how to fix the streaks on his back, and around the eye bumps. There is another blurred area on the lower right leg which is moving in a different motion altogether. That one doesn't bother me. Just the streaks on the highlighted portion of the back and head.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby roadsideron » Sun May 11, 2014 2:38 pm

I use GIMP and I now only use high pass filters to sharpen which uses grey scale sharpening. GIMP also has a motion blur type filter but the results look just like yours. I don't think you are going to get those blurred whites spots to look as spots again without degrading the photo.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby roadsideron » Sun May 11, 2014 3:13 pm

Here's another Utah photo using GIMP and high pass sharpening:

DSCF2646 1 40%.JPG
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Is that a coyote chasing a road runner, Ron?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby roadsideron » Sun May 11, 2014 5:00 pm

No, that's me chasing myself looking for the restroom because I forgot to go before I left home.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 11, 2014 5:24 pm

"Next services 113 miles." :mrgreen:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sun May 11, 2014 5:59 pm

The frog photo is a problem because there are 3 different blurs present: camera shake, out of focus blur, and subject motion. The shake reduction filter is only designed to reduce minor camera shake. Never the less, it can help some.

The default blur trace is too large and in the wrong place. Reduce the size and move it over the frog's head. You'll need to increase the smoothing some from the default. A single blur trace isn't sufficient on this photo. You can add additional blur traces to correct other zones. Here's a sample with 4 blur traces. You can see the dots where the blur traces are centered:

tree_frog_shake_remove.jpg

Not perfect by a long shot, but sharper than the original. It will need a little cleanup. Instead of simply running the filter on the original layer, duplicate the image layer and run the filter on the duplicate layer. That will allow you to add a layer mask afterwards and use a soft low opacity black brush on the mask to blend in with the original layer to hide some of the artifacts. You could also use a clone or healing brush for cleanup.
Bob

Postby roadsideron » Sun May 11, 2014 7:07 pm

What if you had that full resolution crop to work with? How would that look on that photo? If you could clear that one up I'd be interested to try it myself. I'm not sure how I could translate the steps into GIMP lingo but I'd try.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Water Cooler