They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

4K Video

Talk about anything here.

4K Video

Postby IndyMike » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:53 am

I know we are hearing a lot about 4K and with NAB starting this week we will see more on the web about it. I found this on YouTube this morning about what computer hardware and other hardware it's going to need.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhIRR7pH0I[/youtube]
Last edited by Ron on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed embed - Ron
i7860 8 GB of ram 1TB OS drive, 1TB storage drive and 2 USB back up drives. Canon Camera's Canon VIXIA HF G10 and Canon 70D
IndyMike

Re: 4K Video

Postby Briantho » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Larry Jordan was an excellent speaker as this video show. He's on 'our side' telling us what to look out for when it comes to marketing hype etc and what tools you really need to get the job done. I went to all three days of BVE2014 and attended several of his sessions but not this particular one so thanks for posting it.

Not that I'm thinking about 4K - most of my work (hobby actually) is videoing local plays, shows and concerts using my AVCHD camcorders and then I usually distribute on standard definition DVDs!
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Wow this is good stuff. Very beneficial.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks for posting this, Mike. I've been wondering about a portion of what is discussed in this video just this past week. That is, how fast does my hard drive go?

I've always thought that when editing either photos or video, the files need to be on your internal hard drive since no external connection was fast enough.

Towards the middle of the video, Larry Jordan stresses the relationship of the speed of accessing storage devices compared to the speed of hard drives themselves, which he places at 120 MB/second, unfortunately without saying whether he is speaking of 54,000 rpm, 72,000 rpm, or solid state drives.

In general, he is saying that folks selling fast connections don't bother to tell you that it won't matter what the connection speed is, you won't get faster than your hard drive speed, the 120MB/second.

In this chart from the video, right below USB3, which I have, I've added eSata since I have both the connection and a drive storage case capable of delivering it.

Does it make sense to free up my (getting uncomfortably full) hard drives to give the OS empty working space and pull my images and video from external drives?

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:52 pm

He's talking about hard disk drives - and at those rates 7200 drives. The ones with spinning rust in them - Not SSDs or Hybrid drives. A modern SSD will saturate an SATA3 connection and give around 450MB/s. SSDs as video editing devices get very expensive very quickly because of the size they need to be (although prices have significantly reduced in recent times). He's also talking about best case from drives - that's near the top end (modern 2TB drives may be a little faster). If your video files are fragmented - or the drive has to do something else - then you won't get that speed.

However - HDV "only" comes in at 24 megabits which is around 3.5 Megabytes a second - or one 30th of the speed of a drive. Even if your drive is seeking you should easily be able to pull 3+ concurrent HD video streams off of it. I didn't watch the video but I imagine it's geared towards professional codecs which are a lot less compressed (According to Wikipedia RED cameras record at up to 42 MB/second - you'll be lucky to get two of those to play concurrently off of a single drive)

Does it make sense to free up space? I would say it makes sense NOT to have you OS, Programs and Video files on the same drive - too much seeking. And having the drive too full isn't ideal (have at least 15% free to allow defrag). Personally I have the OS and Program drive as an SSD and a separate internal data drive where my videos are. I'm sure others can advise as to external drive setups that have worked.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 am

Chris B wrote:.....I have the OS and Program drive as an SSD and a separate internal data drive where my videos are.........

Ditto. SSD for system and programs; local HDDs in the PC for WIP. Everything else on a NAS which is backed up to an eSATA HDD attached to the NAS.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks, guys.

Sorry to go off topic as this video is really about the massive requirements to work with 4K and how little of a 4K image can be seen on a screen.

What got my attention here was the concept that eSata might be fast enough to have video files on an external drive while actually editing. Based on that hope I decided to purchase a third 1T 7200 RPM drive and an enclosure that has both USB 3 and eSata connections.

I'm going to try having the video on the 1T and editing with it there, but if that doesn't work well enough I can at least move the bulk of my video files onto the external 1T and have more empty space inside my laptop and perhaps what I'm actually working on at the time inside.

I have over 20 hours video of one painting that isn't finished. Storage is a problem. Editing is going to be a nightmare.

At least after watching this video I don't feel any crushing need to upgrade to 4K!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler