They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video editing software poll

Talk about anything here.

What is your primary video editing software?

Premiere (consumer, any version)
29%
Premiere Pro (any version)
29%
Vegas (consumer, any version)
19%
Vegas Pro (any version)
14%
Final Cut (any version)
No votes
Windows Movie Maker (any version)
No votes
Power Director (any version)
No votes
Avid (any version)
5%
Hit Film (any version)
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes : 21

Video editing software poll

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:29 pm

During my time on this forum I have noticed many members migrating to professional versions of editing programs, and this got me curious about who uses what.

What is your favorite video editing software? I'm on Premiere Elements 12 at the moment but still have versions 5, 7, 9, and 10 installed on my machine. I'd like to move to a pro package but I'm not sure I'd use the features and I certainly don't want to subscribe to Creative Cloud.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Video editing software poll

Postby Peru » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:25 pm

I use Premiere Pro CS5.5, which I upgraded from Premiere Pro CS4, which I upgraded from Premiere Elements 3.

Just yesterday I received and installed Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, as I have many hours of tutorials for After Effects, Photoshop Extended, etc.
I purchased it on eBay, with some hesitation, as it was from a first time seller. I was fortunate that it was as advertised: a genuine, unopened, full retail version with serial numbers. It was a smooth installation.

Edit: Even though I have Encore, I prefer DVD Architect Studio.
I also use BluffTitler.
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 pm

I've been using Premiere Elements almost exclusively, although I've played with some trial versions of other programs. At the moment I have versions 7, 9, and 11 installed on my editing machine. Mostly I use 11, occasionally falling back on 7. I use DVD Architect Studio for disc menu creation and burning. I'd love to go to a pro version but I don't do enough paid work to justify it. In the end I'm just a hobbyist.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Gerlinde » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:41 pm

My favorite movie editor is Pinnacle Studio 16 Ultimate ( formally Avid Studio). It has so many features and does everything I want when it comes to editing.
But I also use Premiere Elements 11 and Magix Movie Editor plus 2013.

Usually, if I run into any roadblock with one editor I try the next one. :-D

But if I want to burn a dvd with menu I use PRE, simply because it is so easy to do it. Magix has way more features to make a dvd, but it is kind of complicated and there are no good tutorials to figure out how to do it.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:42 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:I'd love to go to a pro version but I don't do enough paid work to justify it. In the end I'm just a hobbyist.

I'm with ya Dave!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:43 pm

Sorry everyone. When I saw Gerlinde's post about Pinnacle I tried to update the poll questions to include Pinnacle. Unfortunately, that dumped the previous votes. D'oh!
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Ron Hunter wrote:Sorry everyone. When I saw Gerlinde's post about Pinnacle I tried to update the poll questions to include Pinnacle. Unfortunately, that dumped the previous votes. D'oh!

Ok, I thought I voted earlier. So, Ron, trying to Gaslight me?? :lol:

I really like the features & layout of PrPro. Started out in PrEl 3. I didn't see AE in your line up, but that isn't really a NLE. I don't think I would be happy going back to PrEl because the video & audio tracks are grouped together instead of separated in PrPro and how they were in PrEl 3. That would take some getting used to. If or when my CS6 gets out dated I don't know if I would go with the subscription or PrEl. It would all depend on my editing needs at that time. Maybe by then I will hang up editing. :-8

Peru, congrats on your Masters Collection! Wow, lots of tutorials out there. When I got PrPro I watched all the tuts I could the first month and got motion sickness. AE gave me nightmares the first month! :pull:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby AllieB » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:20 am

I use Proshow Producer for creating slideshows which I modify exclusively in Premiere Elements V11. Music and narration are solely aded in Premiere Elements 11. Next step is making DVD-menus in Sonys DVD Architect. The DVD is then completely saved on disk, I can then make as much copies as I need, now and in the future. The finish is burning the DVD with Nero Express in a very slow tempo.
AllieB
Greetings from Portugal
AllieB

Location: Patroves, in the south of Portugal but born in the Netherlands

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:57 am

momoffduty wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote: Maybe by then I will hang up editing.

WHAT? You can't be serious.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:10 am

I began with Premiere Elements 9. Didn't like it much. Upgraded to 10. Better. Upgraded to 11. MUCH better.

Then I bought Premiere Pro CS6. I still have not spent enough time trying to learn it. Naturally because it is capable of so many things, the screen is cluttered, which I don't like. I find myself going back to PreEl 11 to save time. To just get it done.

On the other hand, what I'm working on what needs to be a professional level. I expect (hope) the day will come when I need features Premiere Pro offers, such as broadcast safe colors, the ability to add closed captions, making sure audio doesn't go above levels that are allowed, the ability to adjust overall colors so that even if everything else is a little off, skin tones will be correct, etc.

In my opinion, for a home movie enthusiast, Premiere Elements does a great job at a good price. If I ever have the chance to get my work on TV, I must have a pro level program to have it broadcast ready.

When CS6 will no longer work I hope some other company will offer an alternative to Premiere Pro. It will be a cold day before I happily sign up for Adobe's cloud.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:37 pm

I do it the traditional way with a knife and tape. :)

In the cutting room. I have film cutters and splicers and simply film a backdrop with words on it and then cut to the action. Everything is spliced together with tape. BTW I am also looking to sell my shares of stock in the London bridge if anyone has an interest.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby vkmast » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Started with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 ("consumer" for the poll purposes) after trialling most everything in the same price bracket. I'm staying with (Vegas) Movie Studio Plats. as I'm not doing this professionally and voted for it in the poll, not surprisingly. I have Vegas Pros though to test and keep up. (Actually I did start with Roxio whatever way back, but I'm pleading not guilty.)
vkmast

Postby roadsideron » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 pm

I got Magix Movie Edit Pro 2014 on sale at Frys.com for 29 dollars. I've been using 2013 and previous editions all bought from Frys for 25 dollars on sale. Since I can upgrade and I got an email to get Magix Video Pro 6 for 199.00 with some bonus software I decided to get a Pro version and I bought it. The main reason I got it is because it can handle ProRes files along with other high end formats.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler