They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Corel Draw Replacement

Talk about anything here.

Corel Draw Replacement

Postby Bobby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi All! Belated best wishes for the holiday season!

I had to re-create a DVD from my family collection for my daughter who misplaced one during a move. So I brushed the dust off the DVD burner (well, metaphorically) and wrote a new one. My old Epson R220 printer still works, so I can print the "label" but my old Windows XP PC that I used to run Corel Draw X4 has bitten the dust and won't boot. Fixable, but not that easily as the C drive was RAID 0, and besides that PC is soooo old that it isn't worth it. The bad news is that all my "label" images were in Corel Draw. X4 does not run on my Win7 machine and upgrading to Corel X6 would cost $180 and really isn't worth it to me anymore.

Does anyone know of a program that will read CDR format and export to something I could use to print? Even better, does anyone know of label software that will read the CDR format? I have tried Photoshop, but it won't load or import the files.

Thanks much, and best wishes for 2014!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Corel Draw Replacement

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Found this program: http://cdrviewer.org/. Sounds like it may do the conversion job.
Bob

Postby Bobby » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks Bob, that looks like it might do the job. Of course, I won't be able to edit, but at least I can work out how to print the images if I have to re-create another DVD.

BUT, it won't load any of my CDR files. Not sure yet why, just a blank app screen and no error messages. I will continue to investigate...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Bobby, could you post one of the files for me to try to open. Attachment to a PM is fine.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:58 am

Bobby, Have you tried Corel PaintShop Pro X5 or X6. There's a trial version of X6 that might be able to open a CDR file.

A short list of some other software that can open CDR: http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/cdr
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:36 am

Just a follow-up. Bob or I can't find another prog that will successfully read those Corel X4 files. I see the trial RJ and might try it out, but I really think that the bottom line is that I need to move on. After all, the files are only old DVD labels and I can easily reproduce if I need to on some other program. BTW, the old CD label program that came on CD with my Epson R220 (still works!) installed and runs fine.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler