They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Own Adobe tools or monthly rent for CC?

Talk about anything here.

Own Adobe tools or monthly rent for CC?

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:33 am

I've noticed that many people on this site have "graduated" from the consumer grade "elements" software to the pro level tools from Adobe. I'd like to say I "need" to do that, but I don't.

However, I'm curious if those of you who use the pro stuff own it outright or are "renting" the Creative Cloud stuff.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Own Adobe tools or monthly rent for CC?

Postby momoffduty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 pm

My programs are piece-meal. I purchased PS CS5 about 2 years ago. PrPro & AE CS6 was for the last minute upgrade price from PrPro CS3 & AE CS4 last year. I had to upgrade to edit DSLR video and moved to a new 64bit OS. I don't know what I will do when these programs become obsolete. Hopefully, they will last me a few more years.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:54 pm

I took advantage of an upgrade offer from Pre El 3 to P Pro CS4 and then an upgrade to CS5.5.

With the addition of a few plug-ins (Pixelan Spicemaster, Pixelan 3D Six-Pack, Pixelan DissolveMaster, Neat Video, Mercalli Pro, and VitaScene Pro), I have all that I probably will ever need. I also use BluffTitler and Fantamorph. Although I have Encore, I prefer DVDAS. Encore doesn't come with the cloud subscription, but you are able to download it with a link for CS6 that Adobe provides (for now).

Upgrading software, however, forced me to upgrade hardware, as P Pro requires much more system resources and a different hard drive setup to run without having to render every few minutes.

I don't use Creative Cloud for a few reasons:
1) I would rather own, and not have to keep paying to be able to use it .
2) I don't need the latest features. I won't miss what I don't have.
3) I would have to buy new plug-ins as they lose functionality with CC as it updates.
Peru

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:50 pm

I've been using the Adobe Production Premium suite for quite a while and budgeted for the point zero upgrades which came out roughly every two years. I upgraded to Production Premium CS6 right after it was released in May 2012 and was planning to upgrade to CS7 in 2014. But, Creative Cloud was introduced a year later in 2013 and changed that. I haven't made the decision whether to subscribe to Creative Cloud or not.

The primary suite applications I'm using are Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Audition. With four primary applications, it makes more sense to subscribe to the complete cloud rather than just the individual applications. One possibility I'm considering is subscribing to just Photoshop CC and sticking with the other CS6 applications. Adobe has a special offer until Dec. 31 for those who have an existing separate Photoshop CS3 or later license to subscribe to Photoshop CC and Lightroom together for $9.99 per month. That's not an introductory price that will go back to the normal price of $19.99 per month after a year. That will be the normal price for those that take up the offer and continue to subscribe. I do have a separate license for Photoshop CS3, so I do qualify. If I take the offer, I can keep Photoshop current (which is important to me) and convert to a full Creative Cloud subscription later should really compelling features be introduced to Premiere Pro or After Effects. I'm very happy with my current Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects CS6 and can get along with them quite well. I can easily wait.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:07 am

Like Bob, I was waiting for CS7 as the next upgrade purchase for me but when Creative Cloud (CC) was announced I bought CS6 whilst it was still available.

I have no intention of joining the CC model. CS6 meets my needs and when it no longer does so then I will look around for whatever is available at that time.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:17 pm

I have no intention of joining CC either. Love Adobe products. Not their management or customer service style.

I bought some CS6 products while they are still available. They'll have to do. When they don't work anymore, I probably won't either. Not that I'm doing anything more than playing now, and I can see the dilemma for younger folks who have to make a living.

One thing to keep in mind is that I'm still using Macromedia Dreamweaver 3 to create websites. Perhaps it was written before planned obsolescence was in the air. Macromedia was up to DW8 by the time it was taken over by Adobe.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:53 pm

In case you are still thinking CC....

Is the Adobe Hack Just the Tip of the Iceberg? 152 million and counting.

http://gma.yahoo.com/adobe-hack-just-ti ... ories.html

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Scary stuff Sidd.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:02 am

????

Wow. Scary indeed.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler