They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SPAM

Talk about anything here.

SPAM

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:48 pm

And not just unwanted sales pitches either.

All of a sudden I'm getting 100 - 200 emails a day telling me I can ...well, this is a family forum.

I've figured out how to have Thunderbird recognize most of them and send them automatically to the trash bucket.

I've right clicked, selected as attachments, and sent 100s of them, in groups of a dozen or so at the time to: spam@uce.gov

Now the government is sending a message back saying there are viruses in them and I need to zip to send. I don't know how to zip. It doesn't appear that the government is going to do anything about the ones I sent before they decided they didn't want any more.

Any way to stop this BLANK????

thanks,

Paz

(note to self: calm down)
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: SPAM

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:17 pm

I recommend changing your passwords.

It's possible they got your e-mail from this forum -- but more likely they snagged your e-mail from a site that you're using your e-mail address as a login on. Sites like Facebook. (Especially Facebook!)

In fact, I once got slammed with so many e-mails that it nearly locked up my mailbox for nearly a week. They went away after I changed my Facebook login to my Gmail e-mail address. (Though, to be safe, I changed ALL of my passwords!)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Changing my passwords at online sites I visit? Yeah, I can do that.

I've already changed a lot of them because of the Adobe breach. Bank, Paypal, etc. I thought it might be either Adobe or that I changed my websites from GoDaddy to another service at about the same time and had to "out" my contact information.

Either way, isn't the horse out of the barn? I've been considering setting up a new email address, but mine is associated with my website and I'd rather not if I can get this stuff stopped. Would contacting my website hosting company help? Could they do anything?

thanks,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Just for info, email addresses here at muvipix are NOT public (unless you specifically post it in a thread) and therefore not "sniff-able" by spammers.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:27 am

Is it the same password you used for your profile at Adobe, that's probably where they are coming from.
It can also be a virus or spyware that is causing you to get so many span emails, have you run a scan on your computer lately?

You might want to consider a new email address if the spam doesn't stop soon.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler