They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

I feel an opportunity, but need some inspiration

Talk about anything here.

I feel an opportunity, but need some inspiration

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:51 pm

In a couple of weeks they're going to start the heavy demolition of a local mall. This is a place that's struggled for many years, sat empty for several years, has been scavenged for anything worth saving over the past several months, and is now coming down to be "scraped clean."

http://www.limaohio.com/news/local_news ... 0f31a.html

It seems like there should be some good video opportunities when this happens, but I'm lacking for artistic inspiration. I have no way of knowing when exciting moments might happen, and I can't set up a tent on site for the 6 weeks that it will take.

I thought I'd throw it out to the group to see if anyone had any ideas regarding what I ought to be doing when I do get on site. I'm not going to be able to visit every day. Brainstorming is great. No idea too bizarre.

BTW, I remember when this mall was built in the 60s. I remember it in its heyday, and a lot of memories of my youth are from this mall. It was poorly managed in later years, and then suffered from neglect and indifference when the owning company decided it was no longer worth the trouble. A shame, because it was at one time a lively and vibrant place. But now it's just a reminder of the cycle of life.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: I feel an opportunity, but need some inspiration

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Check to see if they will use a big wrecking ball to demolish. That always looks good in a video. And if they use explosives that would even be better. Take before and after vids.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Dave if you could scout out a cool place to view that is safe why not go there every day and either take a picture or video clip from the exact same spot using the exact same camera same angle etc. The you could put it together for a movie. Also you might call the city and ask if they know when the actual destruction day will happen and if it would be ok to view from a distance..

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:16 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Check to see if they will use a big wrecking ball to demolish. That always looks good in a video. And if they use explosives that would even be better. Take before and after vids.

Explosives... Cool! Unfortunately I doubt it, as it's very close to residential neighborhoods. But I'm sure they'd give notice if that should happen. Very possible on the wrecking ball, though. I'll see what I can find out! Taking before and after should be easily done, and I'll definitely work that into the plan. Thanks!

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:28 am

sidd finch wrote:Dave if you could scout out a cool place to view that is safe why not go there every day and either take a picture or video clip from the exact same spot using the exact same camera same angle etc. The you could put it together for a movie. Also you might call the city and ask if they know when the actual destruction day will happen and if it would be ok to view from a distance..

Getting there every day will be a problem. My hours are somewhat flexible, but I've still got to earn a living. :) But if it looks promising I'll try to do it as often as possible. They say it will take a number of weeks, but I have the feeling that much of it could come down pretty quickly. They've said viewing is not a problem, but did warn about maintaining a safe distance, whatever that is. You may be right about most of the actual destruction taking place in a single day. Maybe most of the work will just be cleanup and hauling it away. In that case I'd have to be there at just the right time, and most of the process wouldn't be worthy of video.
:tx:

Dave McElderry

Postby BuddyB » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:02 am

I don't know about, maybe past footage(If available) or pics during it's heydey, or even an old pic of you there during the time. Titling, "Goodbye Old Friend," "Into The Sunset," "Demolition of My Past." The last one might be a bit bizarre, but I'm the type that might use something like that. Your pier group might have some old pics. And then again you might find some of them you can film with their brief thoughts and comments and work it in during demo shots. Nostalgia grabs the heart. If I'm rambling nonsensically I apologize. Interesting project. I believe you'll do it justice.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:43 am

Great ideas Buddy! The only shots that I have of that mall are from a motorcycle show that was held there for a number of years. We had a bike in that. Unfortunately the photos were more of the bikes and less of the mall, but there's a good chance that someone I know has some better ones. I'll definitely keep that in mind, plus the idea about individual interviews. Thanks!

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:00 am

Groaner alert. I just had to share this with everyone. The mall article from today's paper. The guy who writes the headlines has actually won awards for this stuff. :-D

American-Mall.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave McElderry

Return to Water Cooler