They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Magic Lantern

Talk about anything here.

Magic Lantern

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:15 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS77CiN2WXo[/youtube]
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Magic Lantern

Postby BuddyB » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 am

Very good presentation; interesting they use a Canon. I've been a Canon fan since the A-1..uh, what's 35mm? :). I have considered breaking the bank at some point of trying to get one that will utilize my A-1 lenses. Still a newbie on the movie making side, so I haven't decided whether that would be the best option, or should I scout for a good movie camera. The Magic Lantern guys talk about noise in the Canon audio, and I don't need that.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 am

The line between semi-pro, pro and Hollywood continues to blur. That's amazing quality footage!

Though I'm still amazed at the quality I'm getting from my $200 AVCHD. ;)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:45 am

Buddy,

I think this video is pretty old. The product, Magic Lantern, has been developed for more cameras now.

As to 35mm DSLR vs camcorder, there are some pretty big differences. Within the past week or so I've read an article about filming with DSLRs and the advantages and disadvantages of doing so. I'll go through my history and find it for you. Might take me a while. I'm having a series of horrid headache days.

I have both. The footage from my DSLR is great. WHEN it is in focus. While taping my baby squirrels, they moved and were no longer in focus. Guess I had set up with a shallow depth of field. Another factor is my DSLR will only video for 12 minutes at the time. Then it shuts itself down to avoid overheating. That limit was a problem for me while trying to video painting lessons. I set up a timer for 11 minutes, but then I found myself waiting for it and then it would go off and, well...

I bought a camcorder because of that. The camcorder's auto focus will automatically change on the fly while my subject changes, say for example if I'm on the whole body of a goose, or zoom in to get a closeup of his face, or even eye. I have learned that if I'm too close to something I can think it is in focus on the camcorder's small flip out viewfinder, but my new field monitor is large enough that I can see clearly.

Back to a DSLR, in my stabilizing rig research, I've come across a gizmo that fits on a stabilizing rig and links, as in the way gear cogs link, and by moving it, the focus ring (in manual setting) on the DSLR can be moved so focus can be achieved on the fly. Demonstrated here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Uz0ym2hFo[/youtube]

When I want to video, I go straight for the camcorder, but the stunning clarity of Mom's videos tells me that I ought to dig back into what can be done with my Canon again. I don't have any stupendous lenses, but I do have some pretty nice ones, and of course, the Canon is going to be much better in dark scenes since the ISO range is so wide.

As to the noise issue in audio with the Canon, I bought a separate recorder. I think the most popular models are the Zoom brand, but based on YouTube side by side sound comparisons and ease of using the menu, I bought a Tascam. Lots of musicians use the Zoom models. Lightweight and good sound.

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:08 am

Found it!

Comparison Camcorders vs DSLRs for video:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/camcorders/cam-cam.shtml
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Lots of good info in that link, Paz. :tup:
Peru

Postby BuddyB » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:36 am

Good info I'm telling you, thanks!
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler