They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

VIMEO goes High-Def

Talk about anything here.

VIMEO goes High-Def

Postby sidd finch » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:09 pm

I am shocked that I beat Ed to this posting.
:-D
The New York Post reported on Tuesday morning that New York-based video-hosting community site Vimeo plans to announce this week that it will be distributing videos at a high-definition resolution of 1,280x720 pixels, making it apparently the first user-generated video-sharing site to do so.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: VIMEO goes High-Def

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:03 pm

Sorry Sidd, Ed beat you to it
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1170
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:06 am

Better luck next time sidd :alien:

Anyone have any experience with the software that converts standard video to high def? Someone on vimeo posted a test of this and it looked OK. I guess the most likely use would be including non high def footage into a high def project.
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/instanthd.html
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:24 pm

VERY interesting find, Ed! I have been fretting and fussing about how to make all my SD footage watchable on an HD display and haven't been very happy with the results. I have been looking for a "shortcut" to make them useable with decent quality.

Perhaps you are familiar with the VirtualDub clone called "Video Enhancer" which claims to uprez SD to whatever - now $29.95 and make use of many of the VD filters, too.

I would be interested in hearing from any of the users of these new apps. Is anyone aware of any forums where these folks might hang out?
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:25 pm

Hi Ken I have used the trial of "Video Enhancer" but was not very impressed with the results. I also read up on RedGiant software sometime ago and again there are a number of limitations on the video that you up-rez... and one is that the video has to be fairly high quality DV-AVI video to begin with and it must be progressive... so interlaced DV-AVI is no good.
So what I do when I produce HDV videos and want to incorporate DV-AVI footage is simply to use it standard resolution and have a photo background... sort of picture-in-picture. Sometimes having two clips running together... looks good.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:05 pm

OK - still trying to get that "silk purse" from my "sow's ear". ](*,) [Probably a unique American expression]

Red Giant has updated their product to a "Pro" version that accepts interlaced video - only $400 usd! The standard product is supposed to be upgraded too but I couldn't find it on the website.

My new HDMI upconverting DVD player makes commercial SD DVDs look fabulous on HDTV. "Good quality" SD from my CATV studio video looks pretty good. But it looks like I won't have any home made High-Def postings on Vimeo for a while. :-({|=
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler