They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to correctly list credits?

Talk about anything here.

How to correctly list credits?

Postby Collene » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 pm

How do I correctly list credits at the end of a video. For instance if I use stock footage or some of the wonderful free downloads from muvipix.com how do I show which was me and credit that which was not me? And do the credits run in alphabetical order or as they show up in the video, what are the rules? Also if I want to use a popular song in my video how do I do that without violating copyrights? If I purchase a copy of a song and down load it can I use it in a video or does that take some type of additional permission?
Computer: Toshiba Qosimo X505 Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2410M CPU@2.30 GHz Ram 8 GB 64 Bit Operating System Camera: Canon EOS 7D Video Camera: Canon Vixia HF s21 Software: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10.0 HD Platinum
Collene

Location: A little south of Minnesota's extreme north in the USA

Re: How to correctly list credits?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:06 pm

No need to credit your video sources unless they insist on it, Collene. (No need to credit anything from Muvipix, for instance. It's all Royalty Free.)

If a source does insist on credit (for stock footage or for a photo), there are no rules on how or when you do it -- as long as it's readable. Hollywood movies must abide by very strict union rules with regards to who gets credit when and how large the font is. But your requirements aren't likely nearly that detailed.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Collene » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 pm

LOL, no, Ron Howard and Steven Spielberg are not yet trying to figure out how to get me to help on their next projects. These videos will be seen by family and the friends that care. I do not anticipate a large viewing audience. Thanks for the information.
Computer: Toshiba Qosimo X505 Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2410M CPU@2.30 GHz Ram 8 GB 64 Bit Operating System Camera: Canon EOS 7D Video Camera: Canon Vixia HF s21 Software: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10.0 HD Platinum
Collene

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Everyone is different. You will need to check the requirements for each source. Muvipix doesn't require fees or attribution, other sites may not be so generous. Royalty free doesn't mean attribution free. For example. Incompetech.com is a good source for royalty free music. Their terms provide for free use with attribution and charge a fee for no attribution. They even give examples for how to word the attribution. Check your source carefully.

Purchasing a copy of a song and downloading it does not give you permission to use it in your video. If you want to include commercial music, you will need permissions and most likely pay licensing fees -- this can get expensive. This is complicated by the fact multiple rights and permissions are involved -- there are rights to the song and there are rights to the performance. For example, see this: http://www.copyrightkids.org/permissioninformation.htm.

Many people do use downloaded commercial music without permission. That practice could result in liability should the rights owner(s) find out and want to take action.
Bob

Postby Collene » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Bob, thank you for the music information!
Collene

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:23 pm

My personal rule for using popular music in videos is this, if I am going to use the music in more than one copy of a DVD I always purchase that many of the song downloads, up to 5 copies. I never use popular music in a DVD or Blu Ray video where I will be making more than 5 copies for sale. I don't think most people are concerned about someone selling 5 copies of a wedding video.

In my personal videos I don't really worry about the music as I have already purchased it and will just use it in videos for my family. Not any different than creating an MP3 of a CD to play on my iPod in my car, at least in my opinion.

As everyone else has said about credits, there are no real rules. Watch some of your favorite movies or TV shows and see how they display the credits, at the beginning and end of the production. Then use the ideas that you like best. Some of the credits are alphabetical, some are in order of appearance. I tend to like the "in order of appearance" method myself :)

Sounds like you are going head first into the video world, I wish you all the best in all you do :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Collene » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Chuck, thank you for the music and credit information.Video is addicting! First it’s a couple of birds, an interesting sunflower, the next thing you know your hanging out of trees for a better shot by day and searching for more powerful editing software by night. Good to have forum support!
Collene

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:49 pm

I agree with Bob. There are many sources for music that you can use in your videos by paying a fee to do so. Different companies have different rules. For example, at Audio Jungle,

http://audiojungle.net/

They have a 'regular license' http://audiojungle.net/licenses/regular

or an 'extended license.' http://audiojungle.net/licenses/extended

In my case I need the Extended license since I hope to create videos to sell. I did some asking around over there about whether I needed to buy both licenses if I wanted to run a YouTube or Vimeo short of my product as a promotion and it was generally agreed that by buying the Extended license, I'd be covered.

I've been thinking about the question of how to list credits as well. I've noticed that 'real movies' often tend to list both actors in a movie and music in order of appearance. That's the way I've decided to go.

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for your link, Bob. There is a particular well known song I'd like to use if I can afford it. Thus far I have not been able to find a contact source for the singer. The music was written by a different person, and no doubt the recording company would get a piece too.

Actually, I'm not too worried. You know what they say, "If you have to ask how much..." :fg:
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Collene » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am

_Paz_ Thank you for the links! I rather like the idea of listing credits by order of appearance.
Collene

Return to Water Cooler