They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Ditching The Cable Company

Talk about anything here.

Ditching The Cable Company

Postby Greg mgm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Watching TV is so irritating with all the advertising. I'm starting to research switching to internet based TV.
What I've found so far is encouraging. Crackle (Crackle.com) doesn't seem to have commercials, but their shows aren't HD which I can deal with. We may sign up for Netflix which seems to be a deal for streaming video and shows.
My concern is news. Yes, I can go to news sites and read what's going on, but sometimes streaming video (real time) is important if something big is happening. (Not the latest car chase!) I haven't figured out how to watch real time local news on the 'net.
Also, any tips on how to get HD shows/ movies from my computer to our TV? Netflix says you have to have a device like an Xbox or Blueray DVD player. Anyone have experience with that? Anyone else going to online TV?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Ditching The Cable Company

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:35 pm

You could try using your computer to play those vids by using your HDMI output. Get a cable and and plug one end into your HDMI port, the other end in the TV HDMI port. You didn't tell us your computer specs. You will need a processor fast enough to play HD.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Greg mgm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Using an Imac and a PC, but will use the Imac to connect to our TV.
I found a VGA cable, and plugged that into my TV, the other end uses an adapter that goes to my Imac. Picture looks pretty good so far. Would I see a difference using a HDMI cable?

EDIT- I've been checking out HD movie trailers and the picture looks fantastic with the VGA cable. Youtube HD video looks great on my computer but pixelated on the tv.

Also not sure why neflix recommends using a device (xbox, etc) to watch movies.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:10 pm

"Would I see a difference using a HDMI cable" You would see a big difference if your source is HD and your TV is also HD. I was blown away when I fed my HD vids to my Pany 42" HD TV. But you will need a HDMI cable to do that.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 am

I am happy with the quality of my iPad to Apple TV connection. No wire from the iPad. It also does Netflix.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:58 am

You can also go to the old fashioned TV antenna. Most local TV stations broadcast in HD TV through the Air. The new HD TV antennas ar not that expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... 1359215833

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:41 am

You may also want to check out Apple TV and Roku. These are little boxes that you plug your internet cable into and then attach them to your TV.

Roku is cheaper and gets dozens of channels, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle and Amazon on Demand rentals. Apple TV also lets you rent video through iTunes and, I believe, also plays YouTube.

I love Netflix! $9 month for hundreds of downloads. (Though to be honest, their library of TV shows -- especially cable shows -- is much better than their library of free movies.) And, when I don't feel like trudging out in the snow for a trip to the library or to the nearest Redbox, renting a video from the amazingly large library of Amazon.com gets me just about any movie I could imagine!

I've never had cable TV and never missed it. Between my Roku and couple of dozen digital channels available off the air here in Milwaukee, I've got more ways to waste time than time to waste.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Greg mgm » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:59 am

Great idea about using an antenna for local stuff....That solves that!
I think the rest can be done easily through online content. Crackle is actually OK for me, no commercials. Hulu Plus has commercials so that won't work. Netflix, Amazon, Itunes etc, will cover the rest. Perfect! Thanks for the info!
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi guys,

It has been some time since I checked in here and this topic caught my eye. I, too, am interested primarily in news and I am rather disgusted with the cable TV costs. I just discovered a new gadget which might be of interest. It is the FAVI SmartStick. It looks like an oversized thumbdrive that plugs into a spare HDMI port in an HDTV and basically turns it into a huge Android tablet! Finally, Internet browsing on the living room TV!

http://www.favientertainment.com/SmartStick-p/ss-8gb.htm

There is a 4GB and 8GB model - $50 and $80 bucks respectively. It connects to the Internet via wi-fi n and receives power either from a nearby USB port or a little brick adapter. It has a remote extender dongle which can be placed to pick up the remote commands. All reviewers recommend a wireless remote keyboard and I just happen to have a Logitech k400r which they say should work fine.

This goodie should arrive in a couple of days and I will report my impressions of it.

Blessings,

-=Ken=-
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:28 am

I haven't had cable for a few years now. To get TV shows -- with the ads -- I've been using PlayOn software. Via WiFi I stream it over to my Sony Blu-ray player. You have a lot of menus to go through. It's easier to navigate and watch on my computer using PowerDirector12. PlayOn doesn't have HD yet, but the SD looks nice full screen on my 21" 1920x1080 monitor. If you subscribe to Netflix or Hulu, you can add them as PlayOn channels. Somethimes it takes two or three tries to get a program playing properly. http://www.playon.tv/

Hulu has free ABC News with Diane Sawyer from the day before. Now I can get it free with today's news with the ABC News Windows 8 app. I wonder if BBC has something similar.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Greg mgm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:05 am

Tried using an antenna and only had 3 stations that came in clear. Not surprised there aren't more stations since we live in the mountains. What has been fantastic so far is watching shows on Crackle.com. Not HD, but no commercials, which is what my original complaint was. I got hooked on Rescue Me. I watched season 5 and like it so much I'm considering buying the complete series! Also started watching Inside The Actors Studio on Youtube. I spend a fair amount of time in our basement gym and it's nice having a show on while I'm exercising.

Thanks again for the posts. Good info.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:40 am

RJ Johnston wrote:I wonder if BBC has something similar.

Robert, the BBC has something called iPlayer for both video and radio.

When we lived in Sicily the only way we could view BBC iPlayer video was to use a VPN to a server based in the UK as the BBC will not allow streaming to anyone outside the UK. I can't remember which company we used but I do recall that there was no contract and the cost was UK£5 per month.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Water Cooler