They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Tripod Heads for Video

Talk about anything here.

Tripod Heads for Video

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:50 pm

What kind of head is best for video? I've been looking for information online and have come across:

fluid heads (does that mean it has liquid inside?)

2 way heads

3 way heads

4 way heads

What's the difference?

I've been using an Arachtech Ultimate ball head

with a specialized quick release plate that's attached to the bottom of my DSLR for still photography for so many years I've forgotten whatever I used to know about tripod heads. The Arachtech doesn't have a handle. I loosen the adjustment screws just enough and can move the camera into almost any position simply by rotating the camera itself. I love it. But I can't attach my camcorder to it and I don't know if it would work well if I could.

thanks for your thoughts,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Tripod Heads for Video

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:15 pm

The ball head you have is very nice for still photograpy, but it's not really good for video photography. You could use it if you just want to lock down your shot in a fixed position. But, there is no way to constrain rotation. Good luck trying to pan or tilt while shooting and keep it steady enough to be watchable.

Tripods useful for video typically use pan/tilt heads. Two way heads allow you to pan left to right and up and down. Three way heads can rotate from landscape to portrait orientation in addition to left/right and up/down. You want at least a two way head. The third axis (portrait/landscape) isn't used that much in normal video usage but is useful if you intend to also use the same head with a still camera.

Fluid heads do contain fluid. Or, at least they originally did. There are some manufacturers making heads that call themselves fluid but do not contain fluid. Fluid heads were originally developed for use with heavy professional equipment and reduced friction and viscous damping resulted in very smooth camera moves. Fluid heads are widely available. The less expensive ones may not have tension controls. You should try out a head before buying to ensure it has smooth action.
Bob

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:55 pm

I use the Velbon fluid head. Only $40.00 at Amazon. Supports up to 10 lbs. Look for this model: VEL-FLO-9 PH368
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 pm

How does the head attach to a tripod body?
Is there a standard way of mounting it?

Can you attach it to a different tripod if you remove the original head, or do you have to buy a compatible tripod base?
Peru

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:34 pm

"How does the head attach to a tripod body?" It attaches just like you would attach your camera. You can read the reviews on Amazon: 'This panhead will mount with either a 1/4" or 1/2" mount screw'.....
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:45 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote: You can read the reviews on Amazon: 'This panhead will mount with either a 1/4" or 1/2" mount screw'.....

I guess I should have kept reading further. :oops:
Thanks.
Peru

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 am

I've even come across a 5 way head! (Not that I think I need it. 2 way ought to do.)

TreeTops, thanks for the info on that head. Looks good.

Peru,

I suspect there is an error there. The mount is going to be either 1/4 or 3/8, not 1/2.

I was already looking at another head - legs combination. I'll find a link and ask everyone's thoughts before making a decision.

thanks again,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks Paz for catching that screw size error.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 am

I've been under the weather with the flu for the past few weeks. While resting in bed I read lots of good things about this tripod:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HNJ5HQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and then I found this one on a Black Friday special and ordered it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072B0UM8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

pros:

There is a built in bubble level. Pull the handle straight up and it's easy to set up, even on uneven ground, because of the way the head sits in a 'bowl' that can be tightened from underneath.

The extra long handle makes it easy to pan. Panning is smooth, if a bit stiff. On the other hand, I did one test outside and panned too quickly for the camera to keep up. Maybe being stiff isn't so bad. If it had been easier, no telling how fast it might have gone.

This model has a counter weight adjustment so you can tilt and stop and the camera doesn't continue to drift via gravity pull.

The legs are easy to adjust for length.

cons:

heavy... except sometimes when panning it is possible to have one leg rise, so maybe heavy is good.

short. But if it were taller it would be hard to see that bubble level from above. The only other video as opposed to photo tripod I've ever seen in person was also short. Quite short. Perhaps the idea is that since one is looking at a fold out screen instead of through a viewfinder, it should be short. I don't know. I wouldn't mind another 6 - 8 inches of height.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler