They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Let's talk about Lenses!

Talk about anything here.

Re: Let's talk about Lenses!

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:14 pm

An example of not knowing what you're going to get.

Woodstorks! With wingspans as wide as a man is tall. What a surprise!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-THKuedZF4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

We were on the way to get shots of blueberries and blackberries when we saw this flock of birds - obviously BIG birds - flying in a circular pattern. Turned around, lifted the monopod with feet out of the back seat of the car, opened the view screen and started filming.

At the end of the 2nd clip, when I saw on my computer monitor that the birds were still quite clearly in the center of the viewfinder, I decided to visit the eye doctor. He says my vision is about 40% clouded by cataracts and it will take another 5 to 10 years before the Federal Government will agree to pay for cataract surgery. (Medicare is MANDATORY 1st payer after retirement.)

That explains why I've had such a hard time reading the tiny text in my Premiere Pro and After Effects manuals. Readers don't help. I've always been nearsighted.

So. Obviously, when I couldn't see those birds there's no way I could tweak for manual focus. I need a camera/lenses that can do that for me.

Oh, I looked into the cost of paying for the surgery myself. The doctor will agree to take the amount the government pays when the government pays. Otherwise it is considered vanity surgery and the cost is sky high. I have to wait.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:04 pm

I had cataract surgery (both eyes) two years ago. I can certainly relate to what you're going through. Sorry you have to wait. Medicare only covers the standard inter ocular lens (IOC). It doesn't cover the other types of IOC lenses. Depending on how nearsighted you originally were, you'll likely need reading glasses and possibly astigmatic correction.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:34 am

What type lenses did you get, Bob? I hope you love them!

Mr. B had cataract surgery several years ago. He got the multifocal lenses in the ReStor brand. He saw double telephone poles and such for a while, but that sensation has faded. He also had better than 20/20 vision early on. Where I had been holding his elbow and saying "step up" at curbs, suddenly he was able to see a looooong way down the road and we no longer needed the binoculars to read street signs when we were out of town. He has to use readers for near vision and has them in every strength and uses different ones to accomplish different jobs. We paid several thousand extra. Maybe $2000 extra per eye. I think it is worth it. He loves being able to 'see right out of his eyes'. He too was always nearsighted.

I didn't expect to get cataracts. My 89 year old mother is in a nursing home. She still recognizes my face but has no idea who I am. Vascular dementia that the doctors now say is Alzheimer's. Except for rheumatoid arthritis which has twisted her hands into claws and having lost her mind (which is a real shame because she used to be sharp as a tack), she is in perfect health. No cataracts. Nor did my grandmother who lived to be 95. Grandmother's father lived to 104. And my grandmother on the other side of the family lived to 105. I've never heard that any of them had cataracts, nor did I see it myself.

So if I have another 30 - 40 years (actually not likely because I have so many health problems) but if it were to happen, I want to be able to see and I'm so glad to be living now when it is possible!

Anyway, I didn't mean to whine about this here. I just mention it because I can see everyone thinking...'Aren't you listening? We are all telling you to learn to manually focus while filming video!'

And actually, I've been working on it. Instead of just looking at the LCD screen I've been wearing my new glasses to see what's out there and looking through both the glasses and a pair of 3+ readers (at the same time) to see the view screen. It's working pretty well. I always hated having a long nose. Now it's coming in handy! :fg:
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:09 pm

After going over all the options with my Ophthalmologist, I decided on the standard intraocular lenses. Those were completely covered by my insurance. The other type of lenses were not covered by insurance and would have been out of pocket. I almost got the multifocal lenses which would have been about $1500 per eye. But, I would have still needed reading glasses even with those. I opted for the standard lens so I could have a fully in-focus distance view when not wearing glasses. I also opted for a full 20/20 correction.

The difference in vision was breath taking. Everything was so much brighter and the colors so much more vivid -- and bluer; I was surprised by how much yellow the cataracts had added. I am extremely happy that I had the surgery done. I wish I could have done it sooner. I do need to wear glasses for anything closer than about 3 or 4 feet. Rather than get multiple pairs of reading glasses with different strengths, I got prescription progressive lenses from my Optometrist. They have no correction in the upper portion for distance and the lower portion covers the strengths for reading and near vision. With them, I have no problem reading, using the computer, or driving. I can wear them all the time if I want, but it is nice to be able to take them off when I don't need them.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:35 am

Sounds like a good plan, Bob. I'm so glad to hear you are happy with the results.

I've considered a single focal point at my painting distance but I'm still not sure which way I want to go.

Blue? The world is blue? I hadn't thought of that!!!

Here is a color challenge I took not so long ago and I was truly surprised I didn't score 100%. Generally I can look at anything and 'know' what pigments to mix to obtain that color. It didn't make sense that I wouldn't get a perfect score.

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Water Cooler