They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Panoramic Photos

Talk about anything here.

Panoramic Photos

Postby Niki Burony » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:00 am

I have a question about Panaromic photos, which most cameras seem to have a feature for, whether it be panoramic assist, panorama size, etc.

Is there a good way in PE6 for me to combine the photos I've taken with the panoramic assist? How would I go about printing these photos? I've also been interested in trying to print panoramic photos bigger than just what I can get out of my 8.5x11 home printer. Does anyone know of a website or place that will enlarge and print the pictures? I know places like snapfish or winkflash don't seem to.

I guess generally, how are people using the panoramic features on the cameras?

I know people on this forum have lots of good ideas/suggestions, so I thought it may be a good place to ask.

Thanks
Niki
Niki Burony

Re: Panoramic Photos

Postby happy2bapappy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:55 am

to tackle only the printing part of your question, check out this online magazine. I believe the answer you seek will be found by using 'block posters' link.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129755/article.html?tk=nl_dfxcol

hope that helps.
aka. John.
happy2bapappy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:07 am

Or look here for poster and panorama printing software.

http://www.postersw.com/

I have this and I find it very good. :)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Barb O » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:19 pm

Photoshop Elements 6 does have an improved feature for stitching panoramic photos together. I have not used it myself, but other people have said good things about it.

For more info on the panorama function in PSE 6 see -
--- PSE 6 HELP chapter 18 has a topic on "Stitching together panoramas"
--- "Photoshop Elements 6: The Missing Manual Book" from O'Reilly and written by Barbara Brundage discusses panoramas on pages 290-296.

Note: To be sure that you have the most complete version of the Photoshop Elements 6 Help information, go download the PDF of the help file from http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PhotoshopEl ... 6_help.pdf (or your local site for Adobe product support if you are not in the USA).
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:34 pm

A few weeks ago I used the Photoshop panoramic feature for the first time and I was VERY impressed. Over the past few years I have used the Canon bundled Photostitch application a lot which has, most of the time and without too many corrections to the automatic settings, given reasonable results. I also bought Panorama Factory some years ago but for me it was far too complicated and took an age to produce what in the end was about the same as Photostitch. But the Photoshop panoramic feature is really good.

I've got so used to 16:9 on my and everybody else's moving pictures that 4:3 on a still picture (unless it's a very quick and dirty shot) looks a bit old fashioned. Panoramics give so much more - naturally!
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Niki Burony » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the suggestions. I'll check out the PE6 tutorial.
I was hoping there might be a website where I could upload a panorama and have it enlarged to a 24 or 36" width, but it looks like that is something I almost have to piece together myself.
I appreciate the comments
Niki
Niki Burony

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Niki Burony wrote:I was hoping there might be a website where I could upload a panorama and have it enlarged to a 24 or 36" width

There are a number of businesses that will do that. If you do a Google search with the terms panorama prints and you'll find a number right up at the start of the results list. I can't recommend any because I print my own.

Check your printer manual to see if it can handle panorama prints. Epsons, for example, generally can print up to 40" lengths.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:53 am

......and don't forget to check out that poster software. It may be what you are looking for and the first ten printed outputs are free. You only need to buy the software if you want to print lots of posters or banners. But it is only US$18 (if I remember correctly).

I have found it a useful software tool to have anyway. And no I do not have anything to do with the business other than being a customer. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:03 am

If you've got (or have access to) MIcrosoft Publisher then you might like to look at their poster printing feature. I've not tried it but I see from my copy that it exists.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Just thought I would mention here that I discovered among the photo options in my Canon HV20 HDV camcorder the ability to take photos in 1.77 aspect. Maybe that will be 'panoramic' enough for some folks. For instance, I took a picture of the Christmas decoration in our church sactuary at 1920 x 1080 pixels and managed to get the whole thing into one shot. I was just outside the sactuary doors, but I was able to do it!
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler