They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Eery! It's as if my HDD reminded me who's the boss

Talk about anything here.

Eery! It's as if my HDD reminded me who's the boss

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 am

On Jan. 20, I posted that I fully expect my HDDs to fail at any time.

Today, Jan. 22, Windows advised me that, due to corruption, I must format external HDD letter A. :oops:

As many times as I hit Cancel the message reappeared.

What that meant was that ALL my recent data resided on A's backup, letter B.

Scary! :-8

Multiple restarts accomplished nothing.

As usual when I have a tough decision to make, I decided to "sleep on it" (like Meat Loaf).

So I shut the machine down, and we both took a nap.

Upon awakening, I pushed the power button and then began leafing through an unread magazine, while it was booting.

Next, I double-clicked Computer and immediately noted that matters had worsened: the HDD no longer appeared, which meant I couldn't format it even if I decided to. :pull: ](*,)

So I once again shut down completely.

Lo and bedhold! upon booting from the second complete shutdown the drive reappeared -- and is now functioning normally :yh:

Any lesson to be learned here?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Eery! It's as if my HDD reminded me who's the boss

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 am

Backup backup backup!

I lost a month's work once because I got a little lax in backing up my data. Since then I've been doing a differential backup every Saturday morning.

Maybe solid state drives will eventually change things. But, traditional hard drives, they can die without much warning.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 am

Interesting that it's says letter "A" for that drive. I always thought Windows reserved that letter for a floppy drive.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Interesting that it's says letter "A" for that drive. I always thought Windows reserved that letter for a floppy drive.

With Win7, right-clicking Computer can bring up the below Computer Management Window.

If I right-click on either of the A and B drives in the Window, there's an option to "change drive letter and path."

No matter which of my Win7 machines I am working with, the drives always appear as A and B.

::wav::

Manage.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:28 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Lo and bedhold! upon booting from the second complete shutdown the drive reappeared -- and is now functioning normally :yh:

Any lesson to be learned here?

I wouldn't trust the drive. Make it your third backup or keep unimportant stuff on it.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Peru wrote:I wouldn't trust the drive. Make it your third backup or keep unimportant stuff on it.

Agree.

Two new 4TB external HDDs will arrive tomorrow.

My current B will become A, and from now on I will back the new A up not only to one but to two drives, as my machine does have a total of four USB3.0 ports.

I still recall the famous prepper Steven Harris's motto: "one is none, two is one, three is two," etc.

If memory serves, you are the one who mentioned another re suspenders and pants, but I don't recall the details.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
If memory serves, you are the one who mentioned another re suspenders and pants, but I don't recall the details.

Probably. I've used "belt and suspenders" on occasion.
Peru

Return to Water Cooler